Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt splitter?

Hi,

just a stupid question but besides its speed, the BIG thing Apple is raving about Thunderbolt is the fact that you can daisy-chain devices.

Now I have a Macbook Air on which I hook an external monitor through Thunderbolt.

But I also want to hook it to my Ethernet cable... impossible since the thunderbolt plug is already taken.

So how can one daisy-chain the screen and the ethernet cables?

Any thunderblot splitter.... any hardware solution? I don't want the ethernet USB adapter.

Thanks for any help

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 3:53 AM

13 replies

Aug 17, 2012 9:55 AM in response to sjordi

Don't have a MBA yet, but thought about your issue as it's a stumbling block in my purchase. It isn't a total solution, but this USB 3.0 -> HDMI/DVI might work, leaving thunderbolt free for ethernet. It was the only solution i found to needing both giga ethernet and an external monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Monitor-Adapter-Display-Resolution/dp/B006NQD6WE

Nov 22, 2012 3:46 AM in response to sjordi

Sorry, but if your external display doesn't offer a second Thunderbolt port (for daisy-chaining) or an Ethernet port (like the Apple TB display), then you bought into a dead-end "solution" which can only make sense at the end of a TB chain.

Has it got USB connectors? There are USB -> Ethernet adapters, and they are not even expensive (unless it's Apple... 😉). It won't be GB speed exactly, but close enough, maybe.

thunderbolt splitter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.