Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery HD and Firewire kext

I just discovered my Firewire port has burned out, it was taking 30 mins to boot, 30 mins to shutdown, and sometimes it won't even respond. Took me 3 days to figure out the problem (and several reinstall of OSX). The solution was easy, take out IOFireWireFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

During the troubleshooting, my Recovery HD never worked (it just spins for a whole night-7hours), probably because it was looking for that Firewire port.

I thought to myself, well, let's just go into BaseSystem.dmg and delete the IOFireWireFamil.kext..... well, not so easy.

The dmg is read only and Recovery HD is not big enough when I make the dmg writeable....

So, in case I need to boot my MacBook Lion from Recovery, it will never work... it will always look for that burned out Firewire port looping...

Is there another way to boot from a modified Recovery HD or USB?

Thank you : )

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 6:41 AM

There are no replies.

Recovery HD and Firewire kext

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.