Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import D800 video into iMovie problems

I can import and play D800 video into Aperture 3 without difficulty, but IMovie import of the same video files is very very slow and then crashes.

10.7.4 and all software is up to date

Hardware is 15" Retina Display with 16GB RAM.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 7:25 AM

4 replies

Aug 17, 2012 11:16 PM in response to e2photo

Hi

Me just interested.

• Did You try to import into iPhoto

And from Event's menu - iPhoto movies - import ?

Did this too go very slow ?

• Can the movie from Nikon D800 be opened in QuickTime Player

and if so can it be converted to AIC or streamingDV ?

If so - How will they import ?

• If it opens in QT-Player - then open inspector [cmd+I] and read

- Video Format/Codec: nnnnnnnn

- frames per sec: yyyyyyyyyy

What does they say ?

Yours Bengt W

Nov 22, 2012 5:21 PM in response to e2photo

Two reasons:

1. The H.264 is not a good editing format, it is an industry standard for video compression. Taking advantage of today's high-speed chips, H.264 delivers MPEG-4 quality with a frame size up to four times greater.

2. iMovie doesn't surpport 1080p format well. iMovie 11 may recognise it well, if the format is not iMovie's native format AIC.

Conclusion:

You'd better convert D800 H.264 to AIC (iMovie's native format) for smoothly editing on Mac.

Nov 22, 2012 5:47 PM in response to e2photo

I would suggest that you right click on the iMovie event or on one of the clips in the event. If it offers to optimize, say yes.

AVCHD is automatically optimized in iMovie but with h.264 you have a choice, because if you shoot h.264 in standard def sizes, most macs are powerful enough to handle it.

See this post for more details.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3941

Import D800 video into iMovie problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.