Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I revert settings from renaming the home folder?

*PREFACE* I've read plenty of articles today on why NOT to attempt to rename the home folder.. This was done mistakenly by a friend attempting to help with my wifes macbook air.

While they were able to rename the home folder, upon reboot, all system settings are gone, and she cannot access anything on the macbook air. Basically I need any help on how to go about restoring her air to the point before this incident occured, if that's possible (and I REALLY hope it is!!). We only had one user profile on the air, it was hers and is an admin account. When I try to access files on the HD now I get access denied messages. Based on what I've read, I thought if I could get to system preferences I could attempt to rename it back to the original name, reboot, and things would revert back, but when I click on system preferences, it bounces up, and then the light under it goes out.

I own a time machine, and I have plenty of backup data there, I'm curious though of two things. 1st, how exactly do I go about this process, and 2nd, if I restore it, is it going to restore everything back to how it was before the rename happened, or would I have to do something else?

On a scale of 1-5 in terms of knowledge, I'm about a 3. I'm faily new to Mac computing, but I own several other Mac products. I haven't had to replace my current PC laptop (yet, but its days are VERY numbered), but intend to go Mac from that point on. I hope all of this gives someone smarter than me enough information on what my situation is and hopefully how to solve it! Thanks!!

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 2:51 PM

Problem solved, time capsule worked!

1 reply

How do I revert settings from renaming the home folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.