Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a new iMac, want to install Mountain Lion on old iMac

I know that if I buy Moutain Lion I can install it on multiple computers. But in this case I have one iMac (with Lion) and am planning to buy an additional iMac which will come with Moutain Lion installed. Will I be able to download Mountain Lion for the old computer (since it won't show as a purchased product in the App Store), or must I buy it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 8:52 AM

6 replies

Aug 16, 2012 9:48 AM in response to hpr3

Well yes, you could buy a second copy of ML but alternatively, if you want all your stuff on the old iMac to be identical to what you'll have on the new iMac, you could just clone the new iMac to the old one, using (for example) Carbon Copy Cloner.

You should check first to ascertain that your older iMac can accept Mountain Lion. Not all Mac models can.

Aug 16, 2012 10:17 AM in response to Tom in London

If you buy ML from the Mas then you can download it to any computer you own or control. Buying a new machine with ML installed does not confer that right. Of course cloning the computer with ML to it's original source is not a violation of the license agreement. There is a difference between what is possible and what constitutes a violation of that agreement and you know it.

Buying a new iMac, want to install Mountain Lion on old iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.