Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Instal Mountain Lion on a mac book pro from october of 2008

Is it advisable to install mountain lion on my mac book pro, bought in october of 2008 (first generation aluminum body), or will it not work/work very slow?

An search on the internet gives different outcomes..

thank you!

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 9:44 AM

11 replies

Aug 16, 2012 9:52 AM in response to JJDDSS

JJDDSS wrote:

Is it advisable to install mountain lion on my mac book pro, bought in october of 2008

The date of purchase is not a reliable indicator that your Mac Book Pro meets the requirements for Mountain Lion.

Check out exact technical informaitons for supported models here:

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Even if your computer meets the requirements for Mountain Lion doesn't necessarily mean it's advisable to do so. For example, if you rely on applications that are not compatible with Mountain Lion.

Matt

Aug 16, 2012 9:57 AM in response to JJDDSS

It isn't "advisable" or not. The decision is up to you. Your MacBook Pro should be able to run Mountain Lion (see this link) - although on some older computers, a few minor, not-very-important features of ML may not work.

As ML runs best on a lot of RAM, it would be highly advisable to max out the RAM or you may find that everything runs slow.

RAM isn't too expensive these days and isn't particularly difficult to install. Just make sure that the RAM you buy is of good quality, e.g. from Crucial.

Aug 16, 2012 10:19 AM in response to JJDDSS

I also have a late 2008 MBP Unibody. I just received it back from my son, who needed to get a Win laptop for his scholl's engineering program. (For the stupid "ridiculous" commenter: paying for college tuition -- a good, not-ridiculous reason to continue using a perfectly usuable Unibody MBP! :^P)

I installed 8 GB of ram (after verifying the firmware was the latest version, supporting 8GB) and replaced the original 250GB HD with a 500 GB hybrid HD (small amount of SSD on front of the HD).

I then installed ML and Bootcamp Win 7.

Long story short: Absolutely fine -- ML is quick (not "quick enough" - quick). A 1st-gen Unibody MBP is perfectly ok w/ML.

Instal Mountain Lion on a mac book pro from october of 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.