Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re Retina display vs. non-Retina.

Hi,

I've been reading a lot during past few weeks regarding Retina display and if it can do good for me. I'm a game developer myself and mostly work with text editors like Visual Studio or XCode and game engines such as Unity and don't do any serious Photoshop or Web design rather than my usual needs. I also plan to play games with with my MacBook Pro as well. I will surely use Windows on it, probably at least half of the time I'll be in Windows.

That being said, I was wondering how good will Retina display do for me. So I began reading more and more and more of reviews regarding this just to find out even some of them are wrong.

I believe Apple designed Retina display to be used as 1440x900, thus being "best for Retina" settings, so if I use that, will the image be better than a regular laptop's display being set to 1440x900?

I'm a computer science garduate myself and as I remember when you have more pixels on the screen, you have to have data to put on it so if you have more pixels on the screen, you have to have more data to put into it OR something, that can be GPU or OS, should do some scaling to fill those pixels.

After all, I'm sacrificing 500GiB of disk space with getting this machine versus non-Retina one so it's very important to me if it's doing any good to me or it's just for photographers and web designers.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 10:16 AM

I believe the current Retina is really an Apple fishing expedition. Trying to see how many bite the hook. The technology of the screen is outstanding. The sealed system down below, not so much. And, being a CS geek, you'll agree that there is no technological impediment to putting such a screen on a regular chassis. But a sealed system is far more profitable and attractive to the maker since they will have you by the ballz for the duration.

Go into the Store and configure the top regular and top Retina with all the bells & whistles and you'll see that there is no computing advantage save the pretty screen on the Retina. And if you take the drive and RAM out of the equation by buying base and resorting to third party alternatives, the price difference is just unsustainable. Especially with the max SSD storage alternatives.

Also important to mention is the fact that the Retina does not offer a from-factory antiglare option is unacceptable to many professionals that require high-end graphics.

As I see it, the current Retina offerings are just fancy baubles for the unwashed masses to aspire to.We will have to wait for the market to react to the full lifecycle of the product; not just the current gee-wiz phase, but after they start breaking down and Apple bleeds from having to replace them left & right. Hopefully sense will eventually prevail and a more balanced platform emerges, that offers better bang for the buck.

Let the flames begin....

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2012 10:16 AM in response to TheFacelessNinja

I believe the current Retina is really an Apple fishing expedition. Trying to see how many bite the hook. The technology of the screen is outstanding. The sealed system down below, not so much. And, being a CS geek, you'll agree that there is no technological impediment to putting such a screen on a regular chassis. But a sealed system is far more profitable and attractive to the maker since they will have you by the ballz for the duration.

Go into the Store and configure the top regular and top Retina with all the bells & whistles and you'll see that there is no computing advantage save the pretty screen on the Retina. And if you take the drive and RAM out of the equation by buying base and resorting to third party alternatives, the price difference is just unsustainable. Especially with the max SSD storage alternatives.

Also important to mention is the fact that the Retina does not offer a from-factory antiglare option is unacceptable to many professionals that require high-end graphics.

As I see it, the current Retina offerings are just fancy baubles for the unwashed masses to aspire to.We will have to wait for the market to react to the full lifecycle of the product; not just the current gee-wiz phase, but after they start breaking down and Apple bleeds from having to replace them left & right. Hopefully sense will eventually prevail and a more balanced platform emerges, that offers better bang for the buck.

Let the flames begin....

Aug 16, 2012 3:50 PM in response to wjosten

And that occurs because the 1440x900 resolution is an exact multiple of the native 2880x1800 resolution of the panel. You folks do remember this thing called DIVISION from your schooldays, don't you? Anyway, this means the zoomed down display pairs two pixels and this will result in a much finer grained image than a native 1440x900. Any other of those two resolutions will result in an uneven division (with remainder) and thus will be a off-focus approximation.

Given that the not-Retina-optimized Photoshop and other high end Adobe products have been reported as showing up fuzzy, it would be interesting to know from those who have them whether the problem minimizes or disappears at said 1440x900 resolution.

Aug 16, 2012 5:38 PM in response to TheFacelessNinja

Best for Retina setting is actually set at 2880 by 1800. At this resolution you have the same icon size as you would have in 1440 by 900 setting. This is because they didn't want to make the icon size too small so they increased width and height of the icons by double to maintain the same size. This makes the icons look extremely crisp and clear.

So to answer your question, Best for Retina display looks a lot better than the stock 1440 by 900. The only exception is that certain apps don't support Retina display yet (eg Microsoft Office, Photoshop) etc. in this case, the menu and icons look "pixelated" because they just stretched everything by a factor of 2. Think of iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. iPhone 4 looks a lot better but if apps are not optimized for it, it looks pixelated.

In terms of gaming, I never use 2880 by 1800 because the fps is not there. I mean I always choose 1440 by 900 or one of the lower resolution to have a smooth experience. This is how it looks on other notebooks anyway.

Aug 16, 2012 11:22 PM in response to jaehlee87

There are other advantages and disadvanteges to the retina other then what has been mentioned:

Advantages:

-thinner

-lighter

-quieter

-likely better resale

Disadvantages:

-cost

-no dvd drive

Now onto the screen:

The screen has a gorgeous appearance. There is more then just resolution. The retinas are IPS or PLS technology depending on production date. The standard macbook screens are TN

Though TN screens have probably the fastest refresh out of all screen they have horrid color/brightness bias when you are slightly off center. If you look at them from above they turn green and from below the turn pink, from side angles they images dissapears (or something like that). IPS/PLS screens can be viewed from any angle. They also have very good color accuracy and are a more expensive but better technology. Hands down. Its the same tech that the 27" mac screens are. For reference you can get a 27" TN screen for a couple hundred. A 27" IPS starts at close to a thousand and is prefereed by photographers and graphic designers because it is truer. There are minutia about blacks versus whites with the different techs but whatever

If you do go for a retina hopefully you get the samsung screen (PLS technology) and not the LG (IPS technology) there have been numerous reports of screen ghosting with the LG panels and PLS is a slightly newer tech. It handles quite high refresh rates (like 5ms) where as most ips are slower...

If money is no object buy the retina. its gorgeous.. However the one I bought has major hardware problems so.. there may be issues with quality control.

Aug 17, 2012 11:55 AM in response to Courcoul

Thanks for all the answers.

As most, if not all, applications on Windows are not updated for Retina yet, I'll be using 1440x900 mostly on Windows and I'm not convinced about my original question of whether the 1440x900 will look better on Retina versus a screen with native 1440x900 resolution.

I don't understand why people say it will be better. Retina screen set on 1440x900 has 4 times more pixels than regular 1440x900 one so either GPU or OS has to upscale the data to fill those empty pixels and at the best possible case, they will look like the same, it can't be "better" because "better" means that you have more pixels (thus more data) to see, which in this case means higher resolution. I don't know how this can be too complex.

- Someone said that "Best of Retina" is not 1440x900, try reading this, especially this part: The bottom image is what you'll see on the MacBook Pro Retina's "native," or recommended, setting of 1,440 by 900 display resolution.

Aug 17, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant but that site shows how scaled options work on it.

Thing is I don't understand how you believe it will be better. Imagine you have 1 pixel to fill. In first case your GPU sends 1 pixel so you just put it in that pixel you had. In the second case, which is rMBP's case, you as GPU for 4 pixels but you can use only 1 of them, becuse your display resolution is set to 1440x900, so you select one of them and put it in that 1 pixel.

So if you generate 1 pixel data or generate 4 and select one of them, you will ultimately have just 1 pixel and you can't have better image with not increasing resolution.

The reason that people "like" 1440x900 is because with downscaling of 2880x1800 you don't lose data and performance and GPU can easily do a division but that doesn't mean you get better data.

I do be beg to correct me where I'm wrong.

Aug 17, 2012 2:02 PM in response to TheFacelessNinja

Unlike when using CRT technology, the number of pixels on the screen does not change when you set the "resolution" to something other that 2880 by 1800. There are transistors printed on the glass in fixed locations, and you will use them ALL regardless of what you set the "resolution" to (except if you set it to an odd size, some will be set to black bands).

Whether you feel you have invoked it deliberately or not, this will be accomplished by scaling.

Aug 17, 2012 4:13 PM in response to TheFacelessNinja

I just don't understand why you keep saying Best for Retina setting is not 2880 by 1800. I have a Retina MacBook Pro and it clearly recommends max resolution. Plus when I said 'optimized' I mean Apple redesigned the icon sizes to have more "actual" pixels rather than just "up scaling".

1. If you're asking about using Wiondows on Retina, it's a different issue.

For some reason there is no 1440 by 900 option. Once again even on Windows, it recommends max resolution. The problem is unlike Apple, Microsoft hasn't designed for retina resolution yet and at that resolution things look really tiny. So I had to "up scale" by changing dpi settings. This works most of the time and makes everything look clear and about the right size.

When I chose 1680 by 1050 which is the closest resolution for normal MacBook Pro, icons looked a bit blurry when I looked at it close.

To answer your question, you can't downscale to 1440 by 900 in Windows using Boot Camp on MacBook Pro Retina.

Even we could downscale to 1440 by 900, I don't think it will look better than the normal MacBook Pro.

Re Retina display vs. non-Retina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.