Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep Air in sleep mode in clam shell while connected to external monitor/BT trackpad and keyboard?

I use my Rev B air pretty much solely in clam Shell with a 55 inch sony tv through HDMI (55hx800) and with Apples bluetooth trackpad and keyboard. Issue: i put the computer to sleep and it wakes just seconds later. i read article 3131 which states to unplug the monitor after putting to sleep, but this would be cumbersome, as would physicaly powering it on everytime i want to use it.

my steps:

1) turn off BT keyboard

2) place computer into sleep mode

3) quickly turn off trackpad

4) either turn off or change input of tv to cable input

if i go back to the input that my Air is connected to it will be on and running. i know i can also shut down the computer, but then i would have to open the computer and turn it on everytime.

Sometimes i will put it to sleep, head out for a few hours, and i will come home to my Airs fans spinning pretty loud, i wouldnt want to wear anything out too quickly.

in my setup it would be nice to leave the air near the tv and have it sleep when not in use, but also be able to turn on instanly from the touchpad/keyboard when i am going to watch a movie or web browse.

any one run into this issue or have a solution (that would allow me to leave my TV plugged in at all times and not have to turn the computer off)

thank you,

Carlos

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8), sony 55hx800 led

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 11:49 AM

2 replies

Aug 16, 2012 4:44 PM in response to cmoney408

Here are some things to try:

Check your system preference energy setting and set everything to minimal and no wake on wifi, etc.

Try conencting your TV via Apple's miniport to VGA connector instead of HDMI if possible (some TVs have more than 1 type of connector). HDMI connected devices get all kinds of updates and notifications that VGA connected devices don't get.

If you have a different TV or you are at a friend's house try to recreate the problem. Some HDMI TVs don't have the same wake/detect protocols. I know my XBOX used to flip out on my older Sharp HDMI where if I changed channels the XBOX would quit, but with my Samsung and Sony TVs the XBOX is fine.

Apple is having a host of HDMI issues so expect an update.

Keep Air in sleep mode in clam shell while connected to external monitor/BT trackpad and keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.