Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Drive Manager (w/firewire) incompatible

I am desperately trying to install "Drive Manager Utility" for my WD Mybook Studio II 4TB Raid disk. The app, apparently having installed perfectly, dissapears after a while (it is accessed through an icon in the menu bar).

RAID is thus not recognized.

The studio II disk is connected through Firewire to my Mac Mini Server (osx 10.8 ML with OSX Server). It was working perfectly with Lion.

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions or should I just wait for an upgrade from WD?

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 11:56 AM

I'm having the exact same issue. Have you tried USB?

You can still run the WD Drive Manager by navigating to:

/Library/Application Support/WesternDigital/WDDriveManager and launching WD Raid Manager

Hope this helps.

10 replies

Aug 23, 2012 11:49 AM in response to cbdoc

I've just received a message from WD notifying me of a firmware update that solves the ML compatibility problems with the WD drives:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/firmware.asp?id=wdfGeneric&os=ma c

Firewire now works. I don't know if it is really acting as RAID because the menu utility isn't there anymore to check it. I'll ask them see if I get a reply to that too.

Aug 23, 2012 12:34 PM in response to Mark Dannau

I have the exact same files. Sorry for the confusion. The file I ran is:

/Library/Application Support/WesternDigital/WDDriveManager/WD Raid Manager

After I ran this, the icon in the status menu which I assume is the file :WDDriveManagerStatusMenu is now functioning properly (click on the icon allows me to see my status of my drive). This did not work prior to running WD Raid Manger. Though I have not tried rebooting.

Aug 23, 2012 12:40 PM in response to cbdoc

Ok, in my case the icon does not appear when I launch WD Raid Manager. It only appears when I launch WDDriveManagerStatusMenu, then dissapears after a few secs.

I'll wait for WD's answer as I have notifie this to them. Let's wait and see. But good for you it actually works.

One question: I suppose you are reformatting the drives to raid 1 from Raid 0. Does that actually erase both drives or only the target drive?

Aug 23, 2012 1:00 PM in response to Mark Dannau

Just received this from WD:

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

At the moment, there is no update available of the WD Drive Manager for Mac nor we have knowledge if it there will be an upcoming one or when would it be released. You can access our WD Community following the link below, where we post all latest news and updates of our products on a daily basis. I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/bd-p/Announcements

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Western Digital Service and Support

http://support.wdc.com

WD Drive Manager (w/firewire) incompatible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.