Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cropping a jpg in Preview changes to png - Mountain Lion

Just found out an image in Preview changes the .jpg automatically to .png as extension. This did not happen in Lion though. Can't find any settings for this. Anyone can help me out or understands what I might be doing wrong here? Because it is double work to change the extensions of all my cropped images... which will be getting into the thousands.

Thanks.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Time Machine, OS X Lion

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 2:48 PM

1 reply

Aug 16, 2012 3:17 PM in response to joelleke

Update...

Okay, I figured out that the images where the extension was changed by Preview from .png to .jpg were originally screenshots and thus made as .png's. Appearantly the system changes it back to the original file type when editing the image. Might this be the 'new' Apple phylosophy? Probably instead of just re-typing the letters "png" into "jpg" I should use the Export menu?

Anyone can shine a light here? Thanks.

Cropping a jpg in Preview changes to png - Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.