Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a bootable snapshot image of Lion?

How do I create a bootable snapshot image of Lion? In the past, I used disk utilities - restore to create a copy of current hard drive on an external drive. If there was a problem, kids could boot to external and work until internal drive was fixed. This proved to be a great solution. On a new Macbook Pro with Lion, I get an error when I try. It says to do a restore from the recovery disk, but the recovery disk says it is a limited function OSX. I would like a full OSX so they can continue to work and even copy files over if the internal disk is suffering intermittent failures enough not to boot but not enough to keep from copying files. A few years ago one of the kids had a disk/boot failure duing finals but was able to boot from the external hard drive, copy over what he needed and access the internet so that he could finish the exams. Time machine is great, but there are instances where you need a quick fix to keep going until the new hard drive arrives.

iPod touch

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 6:09 PM

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4190995

17 replies

Aug 16, 2012 6:24 PM in response to motero

I use CarbonCopyCloner for all my clones and it works flawlessly. It does create a full bootable backup and will also update the recovery partition if so desired.

The recovery option is not a bootable clone, it is a recovery mode with which you connect to Apple's servers to download the OS again. It also gives you the option of repairing the drive (or erase it) if necessary.

Aug 16, 2012 7:00 PM in response to hpr3

Thank you both. With versions of OSX prior to Lion, the restore command of disk utilities created a full function bootable clone. If I understand the responses, the clone created by booting into the Lion recovery system will be bootable, but not a full function clone. That is a shame. I guess I will look at CC when everyone is home at Christmas.

Aug 16, 2012 7:35 PM in response to motero

A small misunderstanding. As referenced in my original post in Kappy's instructions using the restore function does create a fully bootable clone. Take a look again. I would definitely recommend making a clone immediately as a HD can die at any time and they all do eventually.

Message was edited by: hpr3

Aug 16, 2012 7:46 PM in response to motero

Well I tried it. The external drive had been partitioned just like I did in the past as journaled. I get a restore failure error, Recovery restores can only be done on GPT partition maps. My guess is i have to partition it differently, but do not have a clue as to how to create a GPT partition. Can I partition only that partition set aside for the clone or do I have to re-partition the entire drive? I currently have 3 partitions set up, the backup, Time Machine, and one I created in OSX as free space and then plugged into a Windows system and partitioned as NTFS which will be used for backups for a Windows system created in bootcamp..

Aug 16, 2012 8:10 PM in response to motero

I do not run Windows, so I have no idea how to handle that type of situation.

But, just to be clear: disregarding Windows, the recovery option downloads the OS and installs it. Technically, that is not a clone unless you copy the installer and create a bootable OS with it. A clone is an exact copy of your system including all your apps, user settings, files, etc, etc and will exist on an external hard drive in addition to your system on your internal - that is done with CCC or SuperDuper.

And, a GUID partition is created in Disk Utility > click on the drive > choose Partition > choose a layout other than what you now have > there will be a clickable Options button below. Click on that and you can choose GUID. Note: partitioning your drive will erase everything on it.

Aug 16, 2012 8:55 PM in response to babowa

I figured out the GUID issue. The default on this system is DOS or Fat or something like that for formatting. I selected GUID and it formatted and seems to be working. At first it said it would take 1 day and 21 hours to copy, but it must have figured out that most of the 750GB is empty, so it changed the estimated time to 2 hours. Will see in the morning if it works. Also, for the Win7 partition, I had to set it up as DOS with GUID. I then put it into an XP system and was able to format that partition as NTFS. Will see how this works tomorrow or later in the weekend. Thanks for the help.

Aug 17, 2012 5:58 AM in response to babowa

The restore failed with a mismatch error. It did a block by block copy and failed at the end. My guess it was trying to copy the entire hard disk and not just the actual used space. I have done a little more reading and guess I need to select the image button. I will have to look into that later. When I selected image, I could not figure out what to select on the window tht opened. Will try tonight if I can access the system or research and continue this when she comes home in October for a long weekend. It was a no brainer with Leopard and Snow Leopard. Lion is a bit more complicated to accomplish the same task.

Aug 17, 2012 2:42 PM in response to motero

Jumping in. If you've reformatted the destination volume as OS X Extended, journaled, and with the GPT partitioning scheme, then just use CCC to clone your Lion volume to it. You have the option to archive and restore the Recovery HD virtual volume, but that not needed unless you think you'll need to restore Lion. That gives you a a fully functional bootable clone. If you saved a copy of Lion's installer, then you don't need the Recovery HD.

How do I create a bootable snapshot image of Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.