Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No incoming mail

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion and now I can't receive mail. I can send, but not receive. Tried everything.

I have a pop account and it keeps telling me to check my username and password. I removed my account [bye,bye mail I left in the inbox argh!] and set up the account again. Still nothing coming in.

I can access the account through webmail, so I know it's not my domains mail server. I've read a billion posts about solutions [587, switch to imap, etc.] none of that works. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 5:16 PM

14 replies

Aug 16, 2012 7:14 PM in response to MacGunt

D: That sounded so promising, but it didn't work. It cleared the keychain password, because the mail app asked for it, but it still says my username or password is not correct.

It's like my mail server is expecting something from the Mac that it just isn't saying. The only other clue is this: "The server returned the error: The attempt to send data to the server "(null)" failed" when I click the triangle by inbox.

Also, here's what the Connection Doctor says:

READ Aug 16 22:08:02.554 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] --

[blah,blah, server port 110 socket thread]

+OK list follows

PIPELINING

UIDL

RESP-CODES

AUTH-RESP-CODE

USER

SASL PLAIN

WROTE Aug 16 22:08:02.573 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] --

AUTH PLAIN

READ Aug 16 22:08:02.720 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] --

+

^that's where it stalls

Aug 18, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Minorsage

This really makes me sad. I've been setting up email accounts since 1996 and there was always a solution for any problem. I've tried everything I can do on my end, and the hundreds of posts for 2 years show Apple isn't listenting.

I tell everyone 'Mac isn't like Windows', but here I am with no email for days and no solution in sight, except using a different mail program. Not by choice, like Windows users, but by neccessity because the included program does not work and nothing is being done to fix it. That's sad.

Aug 18, 2012 4:40 PM in response to Minorsage

Minorsage wrote:

This really makes me sad. I've been setting up email accounts since 1996 and there was always a solution for any problem. I've tried everything I can do on my end, and the hundreds of posts for 2 years show Apple isn't listenting.

I tell everyone 'Mac isn't like Windows', but here I am with no email for days and no solution in sight, except using a different mail program. Not by choice, like Windows users, but by neccessity because the included program does not work and nothing is being done to fix it. That's sad.

Other than re-adding the account, what have you tried?

What is the email service provider?

Is this POP account set up on any other devices? Maybe the account is being "POP locked"?

Is it possibly a network issue?

Can you ping your POP server?

Can you connect to your incoming mail server by doing a port-scan on the appropriate port?

Do other accounts work fine? Usually this is an indication that the Mail app is working properly

What does the connection doctor say? Likely check your usernme and password I suppose.

You could try repairing the keychain.

You could trash the contents of ~/library/caches (or just the mail portion) and /library/caches.

You could test in another user account (perhaps there's a file in /Users/deathfromabove2/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail that is causing trouble).

Aug 18, 2012 5:22 PM in response to MacGunt

- deleting the keychain[s] and trying different configurations

- repairing the keychains after deleting all associated with the account

- every protocol in the pulldown [POP, APOP, etc.]

- deleting the envelope files in the Library>Mail directory

- changing the password to 8 characters - one cap, one number [it was six characters]

- called my host and tech couldn't find any problems on his end, said the credentials seemed to pass, but it may be in the CAPA response [sent him some info on that today - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3192956?start=60&tstart=0 ]

Can't remember them all, but most anything I could find. I have this search bookmarked and almost every link is purple: http://tinyurl.com/whativetried
[tinyurl, because it was super long]

The server is a pop on my hosted domain - sendcoffee.com - hosted by Radiant.net [pros]. The account is only on the one machine. The server is up and webmail works. I have no other accounts on that machine. Connection Doctor doesn't throw an error, just stalls after the plus sign [above]. If I click the 'logging in...' box [which stops the connection] it give the username/password error. If I just leave it alone it keeps saying 'logging in' forever.

It was fine until the Mountain Lion upgrade [from Snow Leopard].

Aug 19, 2012 10:37 AM in response to Minorsage

My domain host got back to me. "The issue is caused by the latest MAC OS native email client, it has to do with a default SSL expectation which cannot be changed on our server."

I have SSL off, of course, so I think this is related to the CAPA reply that the OS used to ignore, but now refuses to go past. Is there a way to add a domain as a trusted domain so the system doesn't attempt any form of SSL?

Sep 11, 2012 9:54 AM in response to Minorsage

I have to say this has been dissapointing. For those who still need help and have not been given any guidance from Apple, I was able to get my system back and functioning by going to Finder, Applications, and selecting Utilities, and then selecting DisK Utility.

I selected the Mac Hard Drive (where the OS is located) and then selected Repair Permissions.

This took some time (10 min) to process.

I cleared the History, selected Verify Disk Permissions, which took 15 min to process. Be sure to close down all open applications.

I then selected Repaired Disk Permissions again.

I rebooted and all of the email that had been unable to make its way to me flooded into Mac Mail. 7-hours of business communication--but at least it started working again.

I didn't see anything in the way of help related to this issue from Apple--so I hope this works for you.

Feb 7, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Minorsage

Ok, having exactly the same situation as the other folks that have posted here and have done all the items mentioned. The MBP I'm working with has ML installed and refuses for all the reasons above to connect to our mail server from Apple Mail. This laptop was upgraded from Snow Leopard where it worked great. Every other client connects just fine, this one refuses. It connects perfectly from telnet, listing and retrieving mail. Eventually I too loaded Thunderbird where on the first try my users mail came streaming in.

Exceptionally disappointed in this "update" of Apple Mail. Our mail server is an Xserve rig from Apple, running the mail services that came with it. It services about 200 clients without a problem for years now.

Has anyone found an answer? We have other Mac's that will need to update and users really like Apple Mail.

No incoming mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.