Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

winmail.dat

Why are my attachements only recently coming in as winmail.dat? I have never had issues opening word, pdf or excel docs on iphone or ipad in the past. I have the doc 2 go app as well so I don't know why suddenly they don't open??

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 11:59 PM

14 replies

May 27, 2014 4:59 PM in response to King_Penguin

I just started having this problem when I updated my Windows version from XP to 7. My Outlook 2010 remains the same, and is set on HTML when sending email. Despite that, now PDF and Office files (.docx, .xlsx) are all coming through as Winmail.dat files. When I am sending them to myself so I can have them on the iPad, they are still arriving at the iPad as Winmail.dat, despite my Outlook settings being set to send everything HTML.

Aug 26, 2012 5:05 PM in response to alanfromnewtownards

Thanks for the replies and links. Unfortunately neither helped, my outlook is already set to send emails in HTML not rich formatting so I don't know what else I can do. I saved my email address in contacts then set it to send in plain or html format only to that address. This worked for word docs however pdf documents opened in the body of the email not on a seperate document, not a big issue but I couldn't then choose to open the pdf in Docs to Go which I mainly use for all documents. I have since downloaded a windat file reader on my ipad and it works well. Seems to be an outlook issue which needs fixing asap.

Thanks again.

Dec 1, 2012 6:21 AM in response to mezbrown

Hi,

You do not have to modify anything from a Mac.

Microsoft has already fixed this issue.

People familiar with Exchange will be able to disable TNEF format.

This format is used by Exchange and Outlook in sending mails but this format is not supported yet by Mail or Thunderbird. Administrators of Exchange will have to disable TNEF format on their domains with PowerShell commands. If you receive winmail.bat, ask administrators from the sending domain to disable TNEF.

Hope it helps,

Yannick JANSSEN

Cloud Consulant,

http://www.YouCLOUD.fr

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

<Edited by Host>

Jan 9, 2013 6:18 PM in response to mezbrown

Hey Guys,

I'm a new user of iPhone, switch from Android. I just bought iPhone 5, and was receiving email fine but this email that i received was in winmail.dat.

I've checked with sender, it was sent with HTML format. My other colleagues using iPhone can view the email content without problem but why can't I view?

Can anyone help me?

Thank you

Sam

Jan 25, 2013 3:04 PM in response to mezbrown

I was having problems receiving PDF attachments in e-mail on my iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.2. They would arrive as winmail.dat files.

I had one of the e-mail senders delete my contact information in their Outlook address book and the problem was fixed for any new e-mails (not the previous emails).

I saw this solution over in the OS X forum.

Oct 5, 2013 5:25 PM in response to mezbrown

None of these solutions make any sense. I sent myself a pdf document because Im told its the only way to get it onto the iPad. The email shows up with the pdf document on my regular computer but shows up as a .dat file on the Apple ipad. Defies all reason. All Im trying to do is move documents to the tablet but Ive spent more time trying to figure out how .... Its ridiculous. I cant believe anyone ever gets any work done on these things!

Oct 6, 2013 8:59 AM in response to Bvjed

Bvjed,

Last year there was a security problem with PDF documents and it took Adobe several months to provide a solution to the issue.

Microsoft some-what over-reacted to its customers' request for a work-around and supplied a "hack" to Outlook Exchange servers that blocked the transmission of PDF documents. Unfortunately this "hack" essentially corrupted email addresses and permanately caused them to block PDF documents.

The only fix is to delete any email addresses that were created during that period from contact-address-books and use the current email address. In your case, it sounds like you need to delete all old-versions of your email addresses from whatever locations you can find on you personal computers.

Unfortunately, you may be exchanging correspondence with indidviduals who have stored corrupted versions of your email address in their own email address systems. You would need to contact them and ask them to delete these old references.

This is an old issue that is not seen very often now. Almost all Microsoft Exchange servers no longer have this problem. Hopefully you are not exchanging emails with someone using an out-of-date Microsoft Exchange server.

Nov 13, 2013 12:22 AM in response to Bvjed

Bvjed et al.

My wife has just had this issue and after digging around I found what was causing HER issue.

Situation:

Some email recipients were receiving a .pdf file as a winmail.dat file but this was not everyone and only affected those on iPad/iPhone that could not receive/interpret RTF formatted emails. Anyone opening the email on a Windows PC (and I haven't tested on Mac or other devices such as Android etc) would see the .pdf attachment and it would open normally.

Analysis:

There are plenty of advise/recommendations saying that .pdf files attached to emails formatted in RTF format may not be able to be received if the receiving client cannot handle RTF. HOWEVER, it is important to understand HOW emails are converted/formatted in RTF by Outlook (various versions). One method that most users have checked is the Mail Format setting within each email as either HTML, Rich Text or Plain Text. The other method that is much less obvious is the setting at each email address level and you can check this by right-clicking on the recipient's email address and selecting Outlook Properties. Assuming you do not have the person's contact details in a contact record, it will show a small Email Properties window. Note the last field called Internet Format and if it states "Send using Outlook Rich Text Format" then that recipient would be unable to open .pdf attachments that you send them if they are using an IOS mobile device.

Solution:

Change this value to "Let Outlook decide the best sending format" and send the email & attachment again.

This explains why some people found the solution to be deleting the entry from their Outlook Contacts - it someone reinstated the format option to the "Send using Outlook Rich Text Format" for future emails. How that happens is for someone else to determine! ;-)

Please like this if it helps you.

Cheers

Mark

winmail.dat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.