Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted encrypted USB that cannot be accessed or formatted.

To the Apple Support Community,

I am currently using a macbook air and a Lexar 32GB USB drive for all my back-ups via Apple's time machine. I've also encrypted this drive through the mac.

A few days ago, I removed my USB stick and corrupted the files inside. Since then, I cannot access any files in the drive. Instead, entering the password crashes my computer after 20 minutes or so.

When I look into Disk Utility, I see Lexar in the left menu and after clicking it, the above menu reads first aid and partition. In the tab 'First Aid', I have the options 'verify disk' and 'repair disk'. The 'verify disk permissions' and 'repair disk permissions' options are greyed out. When I click the Parition tab, all options are greyed out and unclickable.

There is an indented 'Lexar' under the main 'Lexar' in the left menu, and when clicked, there are three options: 'First Aid', 'Erase', and 'Restore'. All options in 'First Aid' and 'Erase' tabs are greyed out and unclickable. However, in the 'Restore' tab, it seems though I can restore imagines from my disk, but when I search for an image, my Lexar USB Drive is not detected.

Please help me format this drive and return it to its original functional state.

Yours truly,

Coco Chocolate

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 2:31 AM

5 replies

Corrupted encrypted USB that cannot be accessed or formatted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.