Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on
If your Macintosh computer won't turn on, here's how to troubleshoot it. Please keep in mind that although your computer may display similar symptoms that prevent it from showing video, this article discusses what to do if the computer won't turn on, meaning that when you press the power button:
- You don't hear a startup chime.
- You don't hear any fan or drive noise.
- The power button or power indicator doesn't light up at all.
- You may hear a startup chime.
- You may hear fan or drive noise.
- You may see the power button or power indicator light up.
ResolutionIf your computer won't turn on, try each of these steps:
- Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.)
- Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to the power port on the side or back of the computer.
- Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer, such as a printer, hub, or other mobile device.
- Reset the computer's PMU, SMC, or PRAM. Refer to the instructions for your model:
reset SMC For "Mac wont' turn on or boot" and relatedIsolating Issues in Mac OS
General purpose Mac troubleshooting guide: Isolating issues in Mac OS X
Creating a temporary user to isolate user-specific problems: Isolating an issue by using another user account
Identifying resource hogs and other tips: Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used
Starting the computer in "safe mode": Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?
To identify potential hardware problems: Apple Hardware Test
General Mac maintenance: Tips to keep your Mac in top form
Thanks for the Apple Support snippet. I reset the SMC. No luck. It's also not possible to reset the PRAM as the bootup sequence doesn't reach far enough to perform that function.
I don't hear a startup chime, but the system fans are all running fine. The only fan running quickly is the Graphics card fan.
This is or should be archived and instead of trying to start on someone else thread... create a new one. 90 days idle threads are basically dead to all but OP.
PRAM reset is so early that it would take a dead component so that it can't do anything, there is nothing loaded or being loaded as it is "bong" and then 4-finger salute. It would have to not even be able to POST and generate the sound is that it?