Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Drive Speed vs Thunderbot Drive Speed

Hi,

This is a stupid question but...I have a large hard drive in my iMac. I have about 50 mkv movies on it. I hope to build my mkv movie collection up and eliminate all of my dvd discs (about 350) If I buy a thunderbot drive and put all of my movies on it will that drive be as fast as the internal drive for getting and viewing the movies?

Also, does anyone know of software to categorize movies?

Thank you

VPH

Imac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 6:47 AM

External drives always have slower data transfer than an internal drive. If this was otherwise, the best computers would only have an external drive and no internal drive.

However, you can successfully view HighDefinition mkv movies that sit on an external drive without a problem. I have most of my movies sitting out there on an external and they are .mkv format, so your intention to get this ext. thunderbolt wired drive should be fine. ➕

I don't use any category software myself just set them in folders, Old fashioned, yes but I can find where they are.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2012 6:47 AM in response to vph1252q

External drives always have slower data transfer than an internal drive. If this was otherwise, the best computers would only have an external drive and no internal drive.

However, you can successfully view HighDefinition mkv movies that sit on an external drive without a problem. I have most of my movies sitting out there on an external and they are .mkv format, so your intention to get this ext. thunderbolt wired drive should be fine. ➕

I don't use any category software myself just set them in folders, Old fashioned, yes but I can find where they are.

Internal Drive Speed vs Thunderbot Drive Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.