Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Widescreen Format custom preset in Compressor 4?

I used to do HD (16X9) format only, but ever since I saw other views, especially really cool looking cinematic music videos carrying the widescreen format I've been wanting to apply that to my videos. Currently my only known solution to this is simply making an image that fits exactly on my frame with two black bars to letter box my 16X9 videos in FCPX. I tried making a custom preset in Compressor 4 with the dimension of the video set to 1920X800 which is exactly 2.40X1 in aspect ratio. I also turned the pixel aspect ratio to sqauare but the results still looked weird. The video was simply squished down with a large black bar at the top and the dimension of the video was still 1920*1080.

Enough with the rubbish (I'm not good at explaining things). Does anyone know how to formuate a custom preset in Compressor 4 so that when I export from FCPX using Compressor presets the file would be natively 1920*800 and that the excess pixels are trimmed away automatically? Or is there an option in FCPX itself that allows me to set the aspect ratio of my video to widescreen in the first place?

Thanks for the help in advance!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 4 Core 2.7GHz i5, 8GB RAM

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 9:38 AM

Hereis a discussion of custom frame sizes that should be useful.

Good luck.

Russ

4 replies

Aug 19, 2012 1:21 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried to export a clip with a black JPEG file from MPEG Steamclip at 1920*800 24fp, but when I put it in my timeline in FCPX the video option window droped down saying that the format is not recognised and forced me to use the presets the came with it. Any other solution?

Thanks

Damon

Aug 19, 2012 7:12 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks for the suggestion, I've heard of the tutorial and tried to watch it but for some reason it didn't load and I had to go through loads of ad and stuff, instead I watched another tutorial and went back to just use Compressor. Mess around with the geometry crop settings and everything worked out perfectly.

Widescreen Format custom preset in Compressor 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.