Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after purchasing mac os x 10.8 the installer tells me i cannot use the hd as a startup disk and will not begin the installation.

i bought the upgrade from the app store and after it finished downloading, the installler tells me i can't use the macintosh hd as a startup disk. since that's what is used, don't know what this is about. i have an imac8,1 with intel core 2 duo , 4gb ram running snow lepard.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 11:09 AM

13 replies

Aug 18, 2012 8:23 AM in response to Linc Davis

hello, sorry it's took so long to get back to you. tried the remedy and still no install. here is a screenshot of what the installer does. and no i don't use a file vault type app. this is just puzzling. maybe a sign to stick with my current os, ramdom glitches and all. i am about to leave for work now, so i won't be available until after 3am cental time. any replies left will be answered on sunday. thanks.User uploaded file

after purchasing mac os x 10.8 the installer tells me i cannot use the hd as a startup disk and will not begin the installation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.