Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proofing connection has been inactive

I'm trying to preview a book in iBooks on my iPad. iPad connected via my keyboard, iBooks open, iBooks Author (v1.1). I'm getting a window pop-up daying 'The proofing connection has been inactive for a while' Cancel or Continue. Continue two or three times no help. Cancel left a ghost book 'Unkown Title' - 'Unkown Author' on my book shelf (which I can't delete). Tried again connected via the USB on the front of the computer (Mac Pro). Some problem.

I have quite a few HTML/JS widgets in this book. Exporting to iBook, uploading to my server and downloading via Safari > iBooks works.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 10:49 AM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2013 10:01 PM in response to David Bourne

Using iBA, I had already previewed what grew to be a 636MB iBook with no problem many times during development. Lots of gallery widgets and a dozen short videos, but all displayed fine in the incremental previews as a I assembed the book.

Then I opened the iBA file once again to add some text in a few places. Hardly added much to the file and now I'm getting the "Inactive Preview Connection" error box described above (with choice to "cancel" or "wait.")

After some initial frustration, I gave it some time to cycle through without choosing either "cancel" or "wait" and it seems that after 7 or 8 "failures", it finishes loading the preview. In each case when the "Inactive Preview Connection" error box appeared, I did nothing. Total load time maybe 15-20 minutes?

Hmmm .....

Proofing connection has been inactive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.