Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes just will not sync

Been using iCloud and mobile me for a long time. I sync my iPad and iPhone and a few macs. Contacts, iCal, bookmarks all sync fine and automatically. Notes never sync. Yes, the 'sync notes' slider is on in my devices. I just setup a new iPad and everything but notes synced instantly but no notes. What's with notes?

iPad, iOS 5.0.1, MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 12:48 PM

18 replies

Aug 20, 2012 4:14 PM in response to JG Here

First check that all your settings are correct, that notes syncing (mail and notes on a computer) is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the notes you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' account and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud account (you can do this by checking in accounts on an iOS device, or the left side panel in mail on a computer), non iCloud notes will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your notes are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking notes syncing (mail and notes on a computer) in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling notes syncing.

Aug 21, 2012 12:37 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Well, last night some notes began to sync. I created notes on both devices and they soon appeared on the other. This morning all notes on my iPad were gone yet two notes are still on my phone! This crap is driving me nuts. I'm now afraid to delete any notes from any device because I believe Notes syncing acts just like an imap email account, where if you delete a message on any computer/device using that mail account, the identical message is deleted from all devices. I hate that. Often I want to save a message on one machine only. That ain't going to work.

Aug 21, 2012 2:36 PM in response to JG Here

JG Here wrote:

...... I'm now afraid to delete any notes from any device because I believe Notes syncing acts just like an imap email account, where if you delete a message on any computer/device using that mail account, the identical message is deleted from all devices......

But that's how it's supposed to work, it's the whole point of syncing notes.

I mentioned the 'on my mac' account in my opening post, it's an account just for your mac, i.e. one that doesn't get synced.

This user tip might help you understand how accounts work with Address Book

Notes just will not sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.