Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to pair Apple Remote with Mac mini

I have a Mac mini (mid 2011) with Mountain Lion. I'm unable to pair it with my Apple remote. I've tried holding down forward+menu and also play/pause+menu.It doesn't work. I am logged in as administrator and I've checked that the mini isn't paired with another remote. The remote works, I've tried it with my MacBook Pro. Any ideas?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 2:40 PM

22 replies

Feb 7, 2017 9:01 PM in response to claes_

I have a Mac Pro with 10.9.5, OpenPHT, white remote which stopped working suddenly.

Tried all of the solutions suggested here. This is what worked for me: logged out of my main user, logged in as an alternate user, went into Settings|Privacy|Advanced|Pair... and this time it paired successfully. When I logged back in to my main user, everything was back to normal.

***?

: )

Oct 7, 2012 3:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

Brilliant - thank you. How do I award answer points? That is my next question!

VikingOSX wrote:

System Preferences > Security & Privacy (click to unlock) > Privacy tab > Advanced ... uncheck Disable remote control infrared receiver

The above is for Mountain Lion. If Lion, I believe I remember it under System Preferences > General.

Message was edited by: VikingOSX

Dec 7, 2012 10:14 AM in response to claes_

I have kind of the same problem. My Apple Remote works fine with my Mac mini and Plex, but I can't pair them. And I really need to, cause I have an Apple TV right beside it with another, and paired Apple Remote.

Since I can't pair one of them, the other one controls them both.

My settings is fine and when I press Menu+Forward, nothing happens, no Pairing symbol appears.

Jan 5, 2013 1:40 PM in response to claes_

Clearly the issue is with ML on the mini.

I bought a new mini on Dec 9th 2012 and bought a remote on 3rd Jan 2013.

Remote wont pair, spent several hours trawling the web and had a few calls with Apple support.

It typical apple , they wont admit there is a problem, just like the killer maps issue, they had to wait till the OZ Govt took issue with the errors in the maps before they took any notice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/dec/10/apple-maps-life-threatening-aus tralian-police.

I have just cancelled a 3000 euro order for ML based kit till they sort this problem

Jan 7, 2013 4:23 AM in response to qazxsw52

Monday 7th Jan.

Just to say that Apple did call me this am to discuss the problem on foot of a call I made last week.

In the meantime the remote worked with both a 2007 IMac and a 2009 laptop but not on the m-mini.

When I tried pairing this morning during the call by pressing Menu and next together it paired.

The change is very subtle, it just says paired in the advanced section of the security et sl section as referred before, with a fleeting 2 intersecting rings icon.

The big difference is that Front Row is gone....

The remote only works to a limited degree within some apps such as iTunes and iPhotos.

In theory it controls the volume in iTunes but as of now for me it doesnt....:( need to look more.

As to what the problem was:

It seems there is a set of keyboard combinations that can be used to force a reset the ID of the remote, the suggestion is MAYBE that by getting it to work on the iMac and laptop in some way reset the ID.

This stuff is WAY beyond my skill level:)

I did impress upon Apple the need to look at the issue in threads like this....🙂

Message was edited by: qazxsw52

Jan 14, 2013 3:29 PM in response to claes_

Hello everyone!

I have the same problem with my Mac Mini but not with my MacBook Pro and I solved the problem...

In the instruction says that is necessary to press and hold both the Next and Menu buttons on the remote but in Mac Mini is not the correct...

To pair a Apple Remote on Mac Mini you need to hold both the Play and Menu buttons on the remote until the paired-remote icon appears on screen.

I have the Apple Remote white (with six buttons) and it works!

Probably in the new Silver Remote (with seven buttons) is with the button close to the navigation buttons or with the play/pause button, next to the menu button. I don't know because I the have that version...

Remove from the link http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4208

Pair the Apple Remote.

• If you have an Apple Remote with seven buttons, press and hold both the Right and Menu buttons on the remote until the paired-remote icon appears on your screen (about 5 seconds).
  • If you have an Apple Remote with six buttons, press and hold both the Next and Menu buttons on the remote until the paired-remote icon appears on your screen (about 5 seconds).

Feb 10, 2013 7:41 AM in response to claes_

Hi everyone. I had the same problem. Here is my solution. First restart your Mac, logging out then in will not work.

I don't know why, but it seems if you check the "disable IR sensor" box, then uncheck it, the Mac will not make the change back unless you restart. Once I restarted, i noticed the remote started to control Plex, eventhough the remote was not paired with the Mac. I uninstalled Plex Media Player with Appcleaner, restarted my Mac, went to System Preferances- Security- Advanced- Pair, I have the old white remote, and held down Menu and Next buttons and BAM! I saw the connecting link. The remote was paired. There must be something with Plex preventing the remote to pair with the mac mini. I know there is a Plexhelper file that runs in the background, but I tried shutting that down through Activity Monitor, but didn't help. I hope this helps.

Unable to pair Apple Remote with Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.