9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 12:24 PM by Ralph Johns (UK)
Mark Fischer1 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I am running OS X 10.5.8 on an older MacBook Pro while my daughter is running Mountain Lion on a new MacBook Pro with Retina display.  I am wondering if it is possible for me to video chat between our two machines?  In the past I used iChat to set up video/audio/text chats with folks running similar systems, but given that iChat is now replaced by iMessages, I'm wondering if it's possible for us to still video chat other than using Skype.  My older system has neither Facetime nor iMessages, so is there an all Apple solution?  I've thought about just updating to Mountain Lion, but I am pretty sure the hardware on my system can't run it.  Ideas welcome.

MacBook Pro
  • Joseph Kriz Level 5 Level 5 (5,045 points)

Yes, you can use iChat and she can use Messages.

Messages has iChat as a part of it.

• Mark Fischer1 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I'd be grateful if you could provide some details about how I set this up.

Thanks.

Mark,

You don't have to setup anything if she has used iChat before.

Messages still has iChat. Buddies window just like before.

You would open up iChat just like you have always done.

She would open up Messages and then here buddies window just like iChat always had.

She still has iChat built into the Messages. Just make sure the Buddies window is open just like you have.

I do this all the time with people that still have iChat and I have Messages.

• Mark Fischer1 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

What is she never used iChat before?  The MacBook Pro is her first computer and we've never iChatted.  Therefore, she doesn't have any Buddies listed and the "add a buddy" menu is grayed out so that it can't be selected.  I am in her address book, along with my AIM screen name, but when she selects me in Messages she gets a message saying I am not registered with iMessage.

She would need here own AIM account.

See this iChat setup which is similar to the Messages.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2515

She would also add that AIM/AOL account in her "Mail, Contacts and Calenders" preference pane.

It really isn't that much different than setting up iChat.

• Cambusmore Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I have a similar problem. My fatther and I used to communicate via iChat and share his screen. Now I'm on Mountain Lion and have Messages. Proble is, all my previous iChat messages have disappeared and I have no Buddies window, only Bonjour - with no contacts in it, nor button to add any.

• sorbino Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Go to Window while on Messages program and hit Buddies... this will bring up the Buddies window.

• Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (69,500 points)

HI,

In Messages Menu > Preferences > Accounts you should list the iMessages one (You have to make this to launch the app the first time) the Bonjour One (everyone gets Bonjour and it may or may not be Enabled depending on how you upgraded.

You may also have AIM (or AIM valid IDs such as certain Apple IDs)  or Jabber IDs (which may include Google and Facebook).

It you had them in Lion they may be there but not Enabled.

Once added or Enabled then then will show under the Buddies item in the window menu (they can be separated out with the setting in the General Section of the Preferences)

A Bonjour Account (and therefore Buddy list uses the Names for the Address Book (Contacts) on each computer and "broadcasts" that to the other Mac.

It is only LAN based (Other computers at home or at work on the same LAN)

10:56 PM      Friday; October 19, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),
     Couple of iPhones and an iPad

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

• Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (69,500 points)

For the points Helpful Star

8:24 PM      Monday; October 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),
     Couple of iPhones and an iPad

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously