Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way to invoke the disk scan mode on an ipod classic 80GB formatted on a PC?

I have tried to understand what the diagnostic information says under HDSmartData option, and apparantly there are:

Reallocs: 392

Pending: 40

So, I assume that 392 reallocs are bad. The 40, umm well, are about to be reallocated? What can I do to fiqure that out and to take action and fix the errors. My iPod is way out of warranty. This iPod classic is the one from 2007 by the way.

Thanks in Advance,

Andrew Joseph Poulain

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 10:45 PM

Realloc 392 is ok

Pending 40 is normally ok, if you can fix it using checkdisk in the properties->tools->error check.

But the main problem is why is it pending, the missing numbers for Start/Stop, ON Hours and Max temperature would help in troubleshooting.

5 replies

Aug 17, 2012 11:13 PM in response to Andrew P. From Marystown

But it looks bad and the realloc number will grow, as the iPod fails to write data to the clusters, indicated by the high Start/stops numbers.

Looks like you have to replace the Hardisk, as HD recovery tools only mapped out bad clusters, but I think your drive, cant get the right spin for verification, either due to low power or a worn drive due to age.

Have a nice day!

Aug 18, 2012 1:17 AM in response to Andrew P. From Marystown

I would, but swap the HD with a SSD, which besides lower power consumtion, dont gives HD problems like bad cluster, worn drive.

And I prefer the older iPods (I'm still using my flawless 80GB iPod 5th Gen Enhanced) and Original iPod Classic ( 6th Gen), which is showing some age, as the Realloc has creep up to 2650, but other numbers are low). I guess the newer hardisk are less durable.

is there a way to invoke the disk scan mode on an ipod classic 80GB formatted on a PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.