Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merged iPhoto and Aperture Libraries - Faces Didn't Transfer

I merged my iPhoto library into my Aperture library and non of the Faces or Keywords from my iPhoto library transfered.

Any suggestions?

(There was an error when I merged the two and it said it had to repair the database when Aperture reopened. Should I try to merge the two again?)

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 4:55 PM

3 replies

Aug 17, 2012 5:30 PM in response to Hollywood Guy

Explain how you merged the iPhoto library. What versions of iPhoto and Aperture are you running?

If you are running the latest of each, you would have the unified library format. After you open your iPhoto library with iPhoto 9.3x or later you will have the unified iPhoto library format. Then all you have to do is open your main Aperture library using Aperture 3.3x or later and choose File->Import to import the iPhoto library into the Aperture library.

Aug 17, 2012 8:09 PM in response to Thomas Emmerich

Hi, Thomas. Thanks for the reply!

I am, indeed, using 9.3.2 for Aperture and 9.3.2 for iPhoto. (All of my libraries have been updated.)

I opened my Aperture Library, chose File->Import and selected my iPhoto library and clicked Merge. It then had an alert - something to the effect of duplicate photos and which one should take priority. I chose iPhoto, since that's where the majority of my Faces tags have been placed.

After an hour or so came the error I mentioned in my original post and Aperture restarted and "repaired" the database.

The resulting Aperture library has all my photos in it from my iPhoto library, but non of the Faces or Keywords data.

I can open up my iPhoto database (with iPhoto and Aperture) and see the Faces and Keyword data there. It just didn't transfer to my Aperture database.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Aug 17, 2012 10:05 PM in response to Hollywood Guy

I have a similar problem with my Aperture library after the 3.3.2 update, see:

Re: Aperture 3.3.2 Update: All faces are gone from my main Aperture library

Repair Library did not help; What brought the faces back for me was to rebuild the Aperture library, not repair. But before you try a rebuild, back up the Aperture library and test, if the backup is in working condition.

After rebuilding, Aperture may hang, when rebuilding the faces.db. Give it plenty of time to finish, best over night. If you have to force quit, you will need to run a repair afterwards.

As to missing keywords - my keywords were still there, but the keywords HUD stopped working - the keywords were not found, when being entered into the search field. This was solved after rebuilding.

One big problem with keywords in the unified library format is, that iPhoto does not support nested, hierarchical keywords. If your Aperture library contains hierarchichal keywords, say "Animals > Birds > Sparrow" and your iPhoto library has keywords "Birds" and "Sparrow", you will end up with duplicate keywords for "Birds" and "Sparrow" at different levels of the hierarchie and any smart album and keyword control set using these keywords will no longer work. You will have to delete your keyword sets, and to merge the duplicate keywords again in the Keywords HUD. Then apply at least one keyword new, to force writing of the keywords to the library, quit Aperture, log off and on again, if you are using MacOS X Lion, relaunch Aperture. Then redefine your keyword control sets and smart albums that are using keywords.

Regards

Léonie

Merged iPhoto and Aperture Libraries - Faces Didn't Transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.