Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do cooling pads work for MacBook pro

Well im planing on buy a cooling pad for my macbook pro (2011) for when i play games and other stuff. I was wondering do they work since the macbook has aluminum unibody and there is no holes on the bottem for air flow and what are some good one that work if there are any.

And looking for a fan power one I already check out the thermapak if somebody suggests it thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 5:19 PM

8 replies

Aug 17, 2012 5:33 PM in response to BLACKELITE095

If your Mac is overheating perhaps you have a dead fan or sensor. Run a Hardware Test

Step by Step to fix your Mac

The 13" isn't a 3D gamers machine, it will overheat the pitiful CPU graphics it has.

Mac video card performance

Yes, the cooling pad does assist in keeping the machine cooler according to others who have posted here have said, however it's not as good as there isn't any vents to increase air flow.

Keep the machine in a cool sub 75ºF enviroment if gaming.

Know that the higher the fans go, the more dust it inhales and collects at the back grill behind the fans.

If your out of warranty/AppleCare (or if in it) see about getting those cleaned to increase air flow.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

Ideally a Windows 7 3D gaming tower is a better machine, as you can clean it, upgrade the video card and there are more games.

http://www.cbscores.com/index.php?sort=ogl&order=desc

However a Ps3 makes a decent cheaper alternative and it doubles as a Netflix, YouTube etc on the HDTV.

Aug 17, 2012 5:44 PM in response to ds store

I have a 15'' btw and it dosn't overheat and don't play hard core games on It I use my xbox for that. But since the newer macbook pro come with Quadcore processors it heats up even doing simple tasks but for imovie ,etc and let say minecraft it heats up and wanted to know if cooling pads do anything since the aluminum unibody but thank you for added extra details and suggestions and thank you for your time.

Apr 13, 2014 7:12 AM in response to BLACKELITE095

My Macbook Pro has the same problem too. I'm using Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Dual-core, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB, and 6 GB RAM. When I play any 3D games like GTA SA, GTA 4, Minecraft, Battlefield, the fan just going very loud and fast so it's pretty annoying.

To solve this problem:

-Make sure you turned off your Macbook Pro and not connected with the charger

-Open your Macbook Pro's casing (underneath your Macbook Pro)

-Clean all of the parts with cloth

-Buy a laptop cooler (make sure it's fit, not to small and not too big)

-Put your Macbook Pro on the cooling pad and make sure the casing is opened

NOTE:- Don't put anything heavy on your Macbook Pro to prevent the damage of the hardware because of the pressure.

- If it's doesn't help, put two DC cooling fan for PC behind your Macbook Pro.

- Use your Macbook Pro inside the room that has temperature below 26 degrees Celcius.

I'm using this cooling pad. It's quite cheap though. It costs about $8

Here's the link:

http://tech-titan.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtue mart_product_id=38&virtuemart_category_id=19&lang=en#.U0qZm62SxLo

To buy it:

http://estore.tech-titan.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CP101#.U0qagq2SxLo

You can buy another models too:

http://tech-titan.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_c ategory_id=19&lang=en#.U0qavq2SxLp

Oct 29, 2015 8:36 AM in response to BLACKELITE095

People have said if you use the little 13" macbook for 3D graphics it will over heat. This is false as it heats up the CPU will lower its speed to keep from overheating this will be the same in any system you buy. If the CPU is getting to hot it will slow down to keep from over heating. A cooling pad will help remove some of the heat this would help keep the system cooler so that the CPU can run faster and give you better performance.

Bare in mind that during intense usage my mac can reach 200F but thats temporary fans spin up and balances around 180F

In Conclusion a fan will work but it effectiveness will be very and be minimal just raising you mac a half inch or so off your table to give it some circulation would give similar effect fan might be slightly better but not much. This is only if you are constantly maxing cpu and running hot it will help lower temp slightly to keep cpu from clocking back as much

Nov 4, 2015 8:42 AM in response to BLACKELITE095

I don't do gaming--mostly design and development, but did have a heat issue. This is mainly from running the Apple Thunderbolt Display (no major heat issues when doing the same things without an external monitor) with my 15" MBP.

Presumably, as a result of this, the logic board, WiFi card, and optical drive have all needed replacement (thankfully under AppleCare).

To deal with it, I have an improvised solution--using a Kootek Laptop Cooling Pad, and an AC Infinity 80mm fan resting on the top of machine when docked. Although warm, it's no longer unbearably hot, and the internal fan doesn't kick up to its highest setting any more.

To answer others posts--I did check the ports and internal fan, and those appear to be in proper order. It's a standard MO for MacBook Pros to run hot, just a question of how much of a gamble a user wants to take on shortening component life.

Do cooling pads work for MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.