Skip navigation

How to sync iMac with Macbook Air

10314 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2013 6:33 AM by epe324 RSS
BGmail Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 17, 2012 7:19 PM

Hi

I have Macbook Air and iMac.  I take the Air to my office.  Of course the iMac is at home.  Now, what I would like to do is have the air in sync with the iMac.  I would like to have them the same down to the wallpaper.  Is this possible without doing any damage?  And how would you do it?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...Bruce

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion
  • Twittly Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    Aug 17, 2012 7:55 PM (in response to BGmail)

I am sorry to say, but there is no way to actually "mirror" your two macs to the best of my knowledge.  However, there are some options out there that will come close to suit your needs.

With dropbox, you can set certain folders to sync to your dropbox account.  So if you wanted your documents synced between the two macs, you would sync your document folders to your dropbox account on both computers, and all documents would be combined.  Whenever you add a new document, or change a document, it automatically changes in the dropbox foder as well.

Dropbox can be used for any folder.  So you are not limited to jsut documents.  However, Dropbox comes with a free 2GB, and mroe GBs cost extra.

Another option could be ChronoSync.  I have not had personal expiernce with this application, but the reviews I had read, sound very promising.  I am not going to go into full detail about this one, but I think its worth a read. http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html

A feature of ChronoSync which will probably benefit you the most: http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_tips18.html

Respond back with more questions and concerns about this.  I found this a very interresting question and loved answer it.  Have a great day and may the odds ever be in your favor.

• creativecloud Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 5, 2012 12:35 AM (in response to BGmail)

Hi BGmail,

I have exactly the same issue. How did you get on with yours?

Thanks

• casper_lykke Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    May 10, 2013 10:00 AM (in response to BGmail)

What I've done is installed OSX on an external HDD then boot from that on my iMac and MacBook.

This is a great way of doing it as I always have my computer with me in form of my 2.5" external HDD, I can boot it up from any Mac...

• Trinity19 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 14, 2013 12:50 AM (in response to casper_lykke)

Is it that simple? 

My hard drive burnt out.  Replaced it.  Looks like I'll have to sync my laptop like that because I lost everything.  No, I did not back up (stupid head).  Is this the best way to start?  I have an iMac (out of warranty) and this MacBook Air since 2007.  Not interested in iPad or new hardware at all.  I'm not a geek, but would like to learn more about the innards and how to handle software properly.  Apple is tops in my book, but I always feel like they have me on a hook.

• epe324 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 14, 2013 6:33 AM (in response to BGmail)

Any new ways to do this in 2013?  I have an older iMac at home and need it to be synced with my mac book so I can work on the road.  Can't I use the time capsule to do this somehow?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.