7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2012 12:08 PM by AnaMusic
JohninMotion Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've had the 16 GB iPad 3 since it was released and now I'm finding that my gigs are slowly going... somewhere. I don't know where. I can't even download a new issue of a magazine it's that bad (I only have .78 GB free space). I keep deleting apps, but I barely get any extra free space. I just connected it to iTunes and it shows that I have 9.9 GB in apps on my iPad. By my math using Apples numbers I have 1132.6 Megabytes which would only equal a little over 1 GB. Where's the rest of this space gone? Surely iOS 5.1 can't be that huge.

So, where have all my gigabytes gone?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1
  • 1. Re: Where have all my GBs gone?
    Noble Seven Level 4 Level 4 (2,730 points)

Have you turned your iPad off then back on since deleting all that stuff?

• 2. Re: Where have all my GBs gone?
    AnaMusic Level 9 Level 9 (57,005 points)

Close All Open Apps...  Perform a Reset...

Reset  ( No Data will be Lost )

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. Release the Buttons.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

• 3. Re: Where have all my GBs gone?
    Texas Mac Man Level 8 Level 8 (45,825 points)

How much space is your Other using? You may be able to reduce.

How Do I Get Rid Of The “Other” Data Stored On My iPad Or iPhone?

http://tinyurl.com/85w6xwn

With an iOS device, the “Other” space in iTunes is used to store things like documents, settings, caches, and a few other important items. If you sync lots of documents to apps like GoodReader, DropCopy, or anything else that reads external files, your storage use can skyrocket. With iOS 5, you can see exactly which applications are taking up the most space. Just head to Settings > General > Usage, and tap the button labeled Show All Apps. The storage section will show you the app and how much storage space it is taking up. Tap on the app name to get a description of the additional storage space being used by the app’s documents and data. You can remove the storage-hogging application and all of its data directly from this screen, or manually remove the data by opening the app. Some applications, especially those designed by Apple, will allow you to remove stored data by swiping from left to right on the item to reveal a Delete button.

 Cheers, Tom

• 4. Re: Where have all my GBs gone?
    Laxman25 Level 4 Level 4 (2,230 points)

I'd suggest plugging in your iPad to your computer. Post what you see on that colorful bar at the bottom. Is it majority apps? Other? Photos etc.

• 5. Re: Where have all my GBs gone?
    JohninMotion Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

@Noble Seven I had tried that

@AnaMusic I had tried that as well

@Texas Mac Man Other wasn't that much. That's why I initially plugged my iPad in yesterday to check it out. Apps were at 9.9 GB, but when I added up all the space the apps took it only equaled to be 1132.6 MB. Everything else was spread out among the rest (Other, Audio, Movies, etc.) which was strange as I didn't have any audio or movies on it anymore. That's when I realized the iPad wasn't reading it's data properly.

@Laxman25 It was a majority apss at 9.9 GB

Taking into account what I had done and that I knew the iPad wasn't reading things properly, I backed up my data and then did a restore from my backup. Now my apps are at 1.26 GB where they ought to be and I now have 10.1 GB of free space. It was as simple as that, I guess.

Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out.

• 6. Re: Where have all my GBs gone?
    Laxman25 Level 4 Level 4 (2,230 points)

I had that happen with other before. It's weird how you have to do that. Glad its fixed.

• 7. Re: Where have all my GBs gone?
    AnaMusic Level 9 Level 9 (57,005 points)

Ipad User Guide

The Basic Troubleshooting Steps are:

Restart... Reset... Restore from Backup...  Restore as New...

Glad it is sorted for you.