Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where have all my GBs gone?

I've had the 16 GB iPad 3 since it was released and now I'm finding that my gigs are slowly going... somewhere. I don't know where. I can't even download a new issue of a magazine it's that bad (I only have .78 GB free space). I keep deleting apps, but I barely get any extra free space. I just connected it to iTunes and it shows that I have 9.9 GB in apps on my iPad. By my math using Apples numbers I have 1132.6 Megabytes which would only equal a little over 1 GB. Where's the rest of this space gone? Surely iOS 5.1 can't be that huge.

So, where have all my gigabytes gone?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 10:02 PM

7 replies

Aug 18, 2012 6:00 AM in response to JohninMotion

How much space is your Other using? You may be able to reduce.

How Do I Get Rid Of The “Other” Data Stored On My iPad Or iPhone?

http://tinyurl.com/85w6xwn

With an iOS device, the “Other” space in iTunes is used to store things like documents, settings, caches, and a few other important items. If you sync lots of documents to apps like GoodReader, DropCopy, or anything else that reads external files, your storage use can skyrocket. With iOS 5, you can see exactly which applications are taking up the most space. Just head to Settings > General > Usage, and tap the button labeled Show All Apps. The storage section will show you the app and how much storage space it is taking up. Tap on the app name to get a description of the additional storage space being used by the app’s documents and data. You can remove the storage-hogging application and all of its data directly from this screen, or manually remove the data by opening the app. Some applications, especially those designed by Apple, will allow you to remove stored data by swiping from left to right on the item to reveal a Delete button.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Aug 18, 2012 8:12 AM in response to JohninMotion

@Noble Seven I had tried that

@AnaMusic I had tried that as well

@Texas Mac Man Other wasn't that much. That's why I initially plugged my iPad in yesterday to check it out. Apps were at 9.9 GB, but when I added up all the space the apps took it only equaled to be 1132.6 MB. Everything else was spread out among the rest (Other, Audio, Movies, etc.) which was strange as I didn't have any audio or movies on it anymore. That's when I realized the iPad wasn't reading it's data properly.

@Laxman25 It was a majority apss at 9.9 GB

Taking into account what I had done and that I knew the iPad wasn't reading things properly, I backed up my data and then did a restore from my backup. Now my apps are at 1.26 GB where they ought to be and I now have 10.1 GB of free space. It was as simple as that, I guess.

Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out.

Where have all my GBs gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.