Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Native VPN client won't prompt for a password

I recently setup and was able to connect to our corporte VPN network. I setup the connection in the course of an evening and connected with no issue. I put the computer to sleep, and when i woke the next morning, couldn't connect anymore. I immediately noticed that the system was no longer asking for a password. I noticed that when I viewed the VPN configuration in network preferences, that the grayed out text that reads "Server will prompt for password" was missing.

I deleted the vpn connection and created it again. same result. I deleted the keychain entries for the connection, deleted the connection, rebooted, and created it again. same result. I created a new network location, created the connection, same result. I created a new user account, created the connection, same result.

I tried actually entering in my "current" RSA password and attempted to connect and got the same error. The pop up reads:

A configuration error occurred. Verify your settings and try reconnecting.

The error is the same with our without an entered password. These are my console logs for the attempted log in event:

8/18/12 12:49:36.315 AM configd: IPSec connecting to server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

8/18/12 12:49:36.317 AM configd: IPSec Phase1 starting.

8/18/12 12:49:36.317 AM configd: SCNC: start, triggered by System Preferen, type IPSec, status 0

8/18/12 12:49:36.317 AM configd: IPSec port-mapping update for en1 indicates no NAT. Public Address: XX##X###X, Protocol: None, Private Port: 0, Public Port: 0

8/18/12 12:49:46.318 AM configd: IPSec disconnecting from server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

8/18/12 12:49:46.318 AM racoon: IPSec disconnecting from server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

I've called mac support and gotten to a third teir and they've asked for a screen shot of a computer with that text indicating that the system will prompt for a password. I have that, but since they told me that they have no idea what could be happening here, I thought I'd put it to y'all first.

I should note, that this is my first non windows computer, so I'm pretty noobish with mac. i do use an ipad to connect to this same VPN, so I'm fairly confident that the issue is a config that's not being deleted somewhere, i just have no frame of reference to find where to look, and the google has been sparce with results that match my issue.

I have a 17" MBP late 2011, running lion 10.7.4

thanks in advance.

kit

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 10:55 PM

3 replies

Aug 20, 2012 8:47 AM in response to kchurchill

Ok, so I solved the first problem, and that is the propmpting for a password. I found that the VPN client plist in network preferences was missing a key in the IPSec dictionary. In particular, it was XAuthPassword or something like that with a string of Prompt. Once I filled that in, the missing text returned.

This had no effect on my ability to connect though. I still get the exact same console error. Does anyone have any ideas on how/if my NAT on the computer could be affected, and if so how I can access it to find a problem?

Kit

Native VPN client won't prompt for a password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.