Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nothing is allowing me to empty the trash of my Time Machine backups!!

After ignorantly moving 83 folders of backups from my Time Machine to the trash, I cannot empty the trash - I have tried the terminal approach as well as a number of Applescript apps claiming to 'force empty' the trash, but still full trash.

When using terminal (the sudo command method) I enter my password, hit return, and nothing happens - this is what others have led me to believe to be correct, but my trash is still full. I have also tried 'Trash It!' and 'FEmp' (found on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChXZTyRdNvQ). The latter worked for emptying everything in my trash BUT the Time Machine folders, so does work, but not completely.

Any ideas on how to empty my trash of deleted Time Machine files?

If anybody solves it, I'd also love instructions on how to delete the remaining files on my Time Machine disk so I give up on Time Machine altogether!!

Thanks in hopeful anticipation!

Pete

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 12:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 4:06 AM

Erase the Time Machine volume in Disk Utility and start over.

5 replies

Dec 15, 2013 5:41 AM in response to michaelfromvestal

Buy a second external drive to store your files on, Copy them over from the original external. Then Erase the first external.

It is a VERY BAD idea to store both TM backups and copies of files you still have on your internal drive or don't have on your internal drive on your backup drive. If that drive fails both are Gone for good.

If you have files you want to keep forever having only one copy of them is not the way to hold onto them. Eventually wherever they are stored will fail and they will be gone forever.

Nothing is allowing me to empty the trash of my Time Machine backups!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.