Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2TB setting up - newbie question

G'day,

Bought a 2TB TC hoping to cater for my backup and data sharing needs across Mac/linux and windows. ATM, i need to get my TC to work through my existing WLAN.

I started working on this with trying to configure it using my Mac. Managed to get to a point where i could to get the TC to prompt for my existing WLAN key which it accepted. Still the amber light kept flashing.

After awhile, i could not connect to it using the airport utility and was giving me the option only to forget the TC. Not sure if i'm in the right course of getting it configured to meet my requirement to see it as a wireless disk which could be accessed only through my WLAN. Further, i'm puzzled as to what's going on when i try to get it hooked on to my WLAN. I have this fear creeping which i think it has some incompatibility with existing internet router.

Your time and help is much appreciated.

cheers

Tim

Time capsule 2TB-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 6:42 AM

Unfortunately, Apple does not officially support a setup where the TC "joins" a wireless network from another router using wireless only.....so that likely may be part of your issue.

Even if you can manage to get this configured, you may not have considered that backups to the TC will take twice as long this way.

That is because the computer that backs up must make one "hop" to your wireless router, then the signal must make another wireless "hop" to the TC. In addition to taking much longer, the chances of an error occuring this way are doubled.

A far superior setup would have the TC connecting to your wireless router using an Ethernet cable. Then, the wireless signal only has to make one "hop" to reach the TC.

In addition, you have the option here of using an Ethernet connection from your computer to the TC when you have a large backup. Since Ethernet will go 2-3 times faster than wireless on average, things like your first backup when everything is copied over will go much faster using Ethernet than wireless.

So, my suggestion would be to do things the correct way and connect the TC to the wireless router using an Ethernet cable. Can you consider this?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2012 6:42 AM in response to Timfrommel

Unfortunately, Apple does not officially support a setup where the TC "joins" a wireless network from another router using wireless only.....so that likely may be part of your issue.

Even if you can manage to get this configured, you may not have considered that backups to the TC will take twice as long this way.

That is because the computer that backs up must make one "hop" to your wireless router, then the signal must make another wireless "hop" to the TC. In addition to taking much longer, the chances of an error occuring this way are doubled.

A far superior setup would have the TC connecting to your wireless router using an Ethernet cable. Then, the wireless signal only has to make one "hop" to reach the TC.

In addition, you have the option here of using an Ethernet connection from your computer to the TC when you have a large backup. Since Ethernet will go 2-3 times faster than wireless on average, things like your first backup when everything is copied over will go much faster using Ethernet than wireless.

So, my suggestion would be to do things the correct way and connect the TC to the wireless router using an Ethernet cable. Can you consider this?

Aug 18, 2012 7:28 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hiya Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i'd like to take it forward the way you have suggested. What do you think the security related observations and changes that should go into the TC when i'm hooking it directly into the router's ethernet port.

Should there be any config flushing/re-initializing the TC when i'm connecting it to the router(as now i have tried to connect it on wireless). I was always paranoid of having to connect the TC to the router directly. How can i make someone's life difficult in trying to access the TC comming through the internet.

cheers

Tim

Aug 18, 2012 7:58 AM in response to Timfrommel

I've gone through all the basic troubleshooting steps (reset, unplug, rescan), but the 2nd Express will not recognize. It still has a solid green light

The TC will make backups of your computer using the Time Machine application. In other words, you will be copying files from the Mac to the TC. I don't think that you need to be concerned about security here, unless I am missing something in your requirments.

You do have the option to "encrypt" the backups if you wish when you setup TIme Machine for backups, but few us need to do that. Even if someone takes your Time Capsule, they would not be able to access the backup files without the device password for the Time Capsule.

It is always a good idea to perform a Factory Default Reset on the Time Capsule whenever you make a change on the network, so the TC starts with a clean slate of settings. This Apple support document has the details:

Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule FAQ

Connecting the TC to a router is very simple. Use an Ethernet cable that connects from one of the LAN <-> ports on the wireless router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Since the TC is new, don't forget that you have free support from Apple, so they can help walk you through the setup on the phone if needed.

2TB setting up - newbie question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.