Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't hear myself record???

I assume there is a simple solution to this problem.🙂

Levels are fine in the Inspector. . .and the track is armed. . .but I can't hear myself when I am recording. . .only on playback.

Please help.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply
5 replies

Aug 18, 2012 11:36 AM in response to cauchy

If you use external amp/effects (pod type virtual amp) you can usually monitor directly through the hardware, software monitoring in Logic is disabled and your hardware has a pass-thru, usually with a level control. The advantage being the signal does not pass through Logic's audio engine so for all practical purposes, there is zero latency. When you run the signal through Logic you will experience some latency depending on how the I/O buffer in Preferences/Audio is set. Some plugins add latency (delay) as well. Most people can word with a I/O buffer setting of 128, the lower the buffer setting the less latency.

The tradeoff? Lower buffer levels cause the computer to work harder. Imagine trying the move the same amount of water using a smaller and smaller bucket, you have to work harder/faster to move the same amount of water.

Aug 18, 2012 1:09 PM in response to cauchy

If you're running through Logic's audio engine with a 256 buffer setting you are experiencing latency although it may not be noticeable to you yet. Most experienced vocalists have problems with a 128 buffer and don't feel comfortable until using a 64 buffer setting. This is because they hear their voice in their head (absolute 0 latency) so any delay through the phones is easily perceived.

The easiest way to hear latency would be to set your buffer to 512, if you're using a guitar to test you should be able to hear/feel the difference between the time a note is plucked and the time the sound appears, use higher notes 7th - 9th frets on the high b and e strings, make sure the guitar is resting against your chest so you can feel it's vibration.

I learned this stuff over a long period of time, I had a MIDI studio synced to 4, later 8 track reel-to-reel tape machines in the mid 1980's, using Yamaha hardware MIDI sequencers and later computers, think I moved to computer sequencing in 1988. At one point I had PC, Mac, Atari and Amiga computers setup to be compatible with an international distribution company I was doing tracks for. Final product had to be available on all four platforms. Later worked for PBS doing tracks for the science related productions. (thank you Roland analog synths) I've also worked as a performing and studio musician for 40+ years. So yes, I'm a MIDI geezer!

Can't hear myself record???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.