Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Super-slow transfer speed via NFS

Has anyone experienced super-slow network transfer speed on OS 10.4.5?

Here's the scenario:

- Transferring a 120 MB file via NFS from a 4TB SAN (not OSX).
- Testing with Linux client (via NFS) the transfer completes in about a minute
- Same transfer with OSX: 5 minutes
- en0 on OSX is set to 1Gig w/full duplex
- Full Gigabit Switch Architecture from the client to the NAS.
- Traceroute shows the same number of hops and almost equal response times between the two clients.

Can you think of anything that would explain the speed difference between the two clients?

Any input as to who to improve throughput would be appreciated.

thanks,
chris

Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 28, 2006 12:59 PM

5 replies

Jun 20, 2006 8:07 PM in response to LinuxGuy

I am having exactly the same problem -- working in Shake across a network on my nfs mounted laptop -- file transfers and general working conditions are almost exactly five times slow than a similarly mounted nfs Linux box also running Shake. File transfers are slower -- it's even slower transfering files in OSX via NFS than it is to run Linux in a VM in Parallel Workstations and do the same file transfer -- way way slower. Doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone have any thoughts on some sort of optimization I should be doing?

j

Jul 12, 2006 8:30 AM in response to LinuxGuy

There are so many posts that talk about the slow network connections, but few if any answers. I've got a 1 TB Snap Server, connected to my G5 Mac on a dedicated gigabit switch. The server actually has two gigabit ports that are bonded for load balancing. Just one Mac and one server on the switch. One would think that this would make for a very fast connection with a high transfer rate. It's not. I don't know what else I can do. I've played with the settings, tried many things, but nothing has had much of an effect. A lowly PC seems to be able to transfer at a much higher rate. No one seems to have any answers, but I guess I'll ask it again; does anyone have a solution that I could try?

Aug 30, 2006 9:50 PM in response to Scott Micciche

Has Apple responded to any of these type scenarios?

I often see a file transfer get progressively slower after a relatively speedy initial transfer rate. Of course, OS X NFS to Linux 2.6 NFS is always slower than Linux 2.6 NFS to Linux 2.6 NFS.

I have had some luck in improving performance (from abysmal rates in the 0.8 Mbps range over private 1000Mbps Ethernet) by making my Linux NFS shares asynchronous.

In the Linux /etc/exports:
/mount/point 192.168.0.0/8(rw,async,all_squash,anonuid=XXX,anongid=XXX)

To get NFS sharing working at all I had to specify the -P option for the mountpoint in the NetInfo Manager.

Cheers,
Chris

PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.7) 1.5GB RAM and it still feels slow

Sep 22, 2006 2:21 PM in response to LinuxGuy

For what it's worth, here's my situation:

NFS Export: AIX 5.2 server on an RS/6000, gigabit attached.
NFS Client: Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 on an XServe G4 1.25, gigabit attached.

Copy 18MB of files from <export>/test/ to <export>/test2/ - 30 seconds.

Do the same from a Linux 2.4.22 box - 6 seconds.

I've attempted to adjust the read and write sizes (mount_nfs -r 32768 -w 32768) and it appears that even though the documentation talks about going above 16k, it won't actually do it.

An ethereal trace shows a 16384 frame size no matter what we put there. Is it possible that the NFS client can't create windows that are >16K?

(Ethereal shows the linux box doing 32k window size)

Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Super-slow transfer speed via NFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.