Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sync Aperture to iPad2 through iTunes

I just bought Aperture (3.3.2), 'up-grading' from iPhoto.

I previously, of course, sync-ed my photos to iPad 2 through iPhoto.

Thought I'd now sync through Aperture.

However, when in iTunes I go to (sync) Photos > iPhoto and change it to Aperture, up comes a warning:

"Your Aperture Library could not be found. Open the

preferences window in Aperture and enable the preference

to share previews with other applications."

I've looked in Aperture preferences a hundred times and can't for the life of me find anything mentioning 'share previews with other applications'.

There's the one 'share previews with iLife and iWork' and that's set to 'always', but nothing else.

I saw some discussion here about deleting the iPod Photo Cache and I've done that, but still the same warning when switching from iPhoto to Aperture in iTunes.

Any other bright ideas?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, It's lovely.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 8:19 AM

6 replies

Aug 18, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Steve Denton

This situation, which could only happen post Aperture 3..3, and iPhoto corresponding release. I have not fully investigated the ins and outs. But in iTunes, you can only sync to one source -- either one Aperture Library or one iPhoto Library -- at any one time. While Aperture can open the iPhoto Library, it did not create it, nor is it THE Aperture Library (you have no Aperture Library) for selection in iTunes, despite having opened it with Aperture. For it to become the Aperture Library you would have to import it -- I am not recommending that, per se, but only to make the point.

The iPod Photo Cache file is a single file indicating a single source, namely the last one opened by either iPhoto or Aperture.

Until you create your first Aperture Library, there is nothing to sync to with iTunes -- only with iPhoto.

Ernie

Sep 15, 2012 5:31 AM in response to GMacD1

Yeah, I think is the answer to you GMacD1.

I had just downloaded Aperture and it was using my iPhoto Library. I then wanted to sync my iPhone and iPad with Aperture. But it said 'can't find Aperture Library' or similar (despite me pointing to where it was; "it's THERE you muppet!").

Then Ernie above there put me on the right path. Of course they wouldn't sync with Aperture's library, because there wasn't one. My Aperture was using iPhoto's Library.

I have now merged iPhoto's Library into Aperture's and switched the iPhone and iPad to sync with Aperture's library and everything works just fine.

Can't sync Aperture to iPad2 through iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.