9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2014 4:57 PM by ubernaut
ubernaut Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

So we had a shoot and there was obviously some kind of connection issue with the mic as you can see the audio fully kicks in about half through the second clip but it looks like (maybe?) the audio is hidning in a secondary channel. as you can see in the waveforms there does appear to be something in there but try as i might i cannot get this ghost channel to come out of hiding. So if there is way to get this audio isolated that would obviously be pretty great but if anyone can even explain to me what that is and why if the levels appear to relatively normal on that ghost channel why they don't playback that would also be helpful (at least in terms of my confusion level).

Screen Shot 2012-08-18 at 8.21.06 AM.png

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Ian R. Brown Level 6 Level 6 (18,395 points)

The bad news is that the audio is the tiny darker blue waveform along the bottom which is recorded at an  extremely low level.

You might be able to make it audible by dragging the "volume Line" up but the quality will be poor.

Re-shooting is the only way to get it back and I guess that is probably not possible.

The ghostly waveforms you can see are called Reference Waveforms and are used by some people as an aid to editing audio, though I don't fully understand them.

You can turn them off in the preferences.

wf.png

• Karsten Schlüter Level 7 Level 7 (31,430 points)

Ian R. Brown wrote:

…  The ghostly waveforms you can see are called Reference Waveforms and are used by some people as an aid to editing audio, though I don't fully understand them.

Neil once gave you this reply, quoting the Help

You refer to the  'Reference Waveforms'

Taken from the Help Document:

A reference waveform shows the maximum visual resolution possible for the actual audio waveform. By factoring out loudness changes, reference waveforms let you see the details of the sound more clearly.

1. Choose Final Cut Pro > Preferences, and click Editing. 2. Select the “Show reference waveforms” checkbox.

When the actual waveform changes shape (for example, when it is diminished because a clipʼs volume level is low), its full reference waveform is still visible for easy reference when editing.

or, in other words, found here

http://www.fcpxtutor.com/2011/07/fcpx-tutor27-ghosted-waveforms.html

The ghosted waveforms in the timeline represent what the audio would look like if it was normalized. It shows more clearly the peaks and gaps. This is non destructive and is for display purposes only

so, there is hope to raise the volume to some hearable level...

but who needs audio anyhow

when you have such a picture?

(dirty ol' man perspective )

back2topic

consider:

• dubbing

• dubbing and some neutral cut-away (to avoid any synch probs)

• is it some racing scenery or somethin'? overlay some loud car-noise and add a sub-title "Sorry - she said: "......."

forgot to mention in my list:

the built-in Logic Compressor perhaps allows to push even more ...

• Ian R. Brown Level 6 Level 6 (18,395 points)

I remember several people explaining it to me but I didn't remember precisely what it was.

It seems quite obvious now  .  .  .  .  but tomorrow?

Ian R. Brown wrote:

… It seems quite obvious now  .  .  .  .  but tomorrow?

don't concentrate on Kathryn's look ...

this is a technical board!

• ubernaut Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

hey thanks for the info prior to yesterday i thought the ref waveforms were the stereo secondary channel or something. so just one more question you said something about a built in logic compressor where's that?

thanks again!!!

ok nevermind i found the logic filters thanks again for the help!

you're Welcome!

… just to feed my curiosity:

were you able to recover any usable audio?

or did you dub?

sorry for some reason i never saw your last reply but was looking this thread up again for a similar issue i don't frankly remember if it was usable or not sorry i want to say we recovered discernible audio but there was too much noise to be usable.