Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Acrobat 9 fails to recognize (scanner) Epson Artisan 730 after Mac Pro and Mountain Lion Upgrade

I had no problems scanning from the Epson Artisan 730 all in one until I upgraded my Powermac G5 to a mid-2010 Mac Pro with Mountain Lion 10.8. The printer is installed with most recent drivers from Epson (the install disk will not work on 10.8 anyway). I can scan directly from the Print and Scan system preference under the scan tab of the printer and it prints fine from Acrobat. When I go to Document -> Scan to PDF, it brings up a dialog box in which the first input is box is Scanner: "Please select a device" with up and down arrows on the right. When I click on the up and down arrows, there are no selection options other that "Please select a device" with a check mark next to it. This printer is wireless, as is another Canon which also has a scanner and neither appear as available. Very frustrating. I have repeated the instalation process (for the Epson downloaded driver utilities) and it just is not seen.

If anyone has any workarounds or solutions, I would be grateful.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion, Epson Artisan 730

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 8:50 AM

12 replies

Aug 18, 2012 10:59 AM in response to 1strail

The tech specs for Acrobat 9 Pro were for OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5. For Acrobat X Pro, OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.4. Adobe just released X 10.1.4 with release notes mentioning Mountain Lion capability. So, it is possible that even though your Acrobat 9 miraculously works on Mountain Lion, it could be looking for the Artisan drivers either in an ancient location, or is hard-coded to expect driver names that have been changed in current Artisan driver software.

You probably have already tried the Adobe and Epsom forums. Before you spend upgrade money on Acrobat X Pro, it would be nice to know if that latest trialware solves your Artisan scanning interface issues. Installing the trialware to make this determination might very well pollute your current Acrobat 9 install.

Aug 18, 2012 7:18 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks - the trial version of Acrobat X was an excellent idea, unfortunatly, Adobe only has the Windows version available for trial download. Crap.

I can't be the only one with Acrobat 9 (actually part of Creative Suite 4) running 10.8. Photoshop doesn't recognize it either, I even tried dropping a twain plug-in the import/export plug-in folder and still no help. If no one comes up with anything, I will be calling Epson next week to find the answer, which may be, tough luck Charlie, upgrade Acrobat.

Aug 19, 2012 5:53 PM in response to VikingOSX

I don't have any version of Acrobat Pro or Creative Suite. However, I think what those programs are looking for are TWAIN drivers. These are not included in the software distributed by Apple. For your Artisan 730, you should be able to download this file directly from Epson that will provide you with an Epson Scan application and the TWAIN drivers the other programs need.

Please post back and let us know if that solves your problem. It will allow us to help others in the same or similar circumstances.

Aug 19, 2012 6:40 PM in response to 1strail

Why not just spend $79.99 for VueScan and get unlimited software updates. The Artisan 730 support page is here. Doesn't require any preinstalled drivers for this scanner. Vuescan supports over 1800 scanners across Linux, OS X, and Windows. There is a free trial. Prolific developer. You want the 64-bit version.

I own it. It works just fine on ML with my Canon scanner.

Aug 19, 2012 6:43 PM in response to Matt Broughton

Thanks! I think the TWAIN driver is the right track. I installed the driver link you provided and at least now the Artisan shows up as a selectable device when "Scan to PDF" is selected. Once I click the scan button however, I receive the following:

"Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly setup and connected with no errors indicated. For detailed information...."

I can pull up the scanner utility from within the Print and Scan system preferences and that works. But that worked before. I am pretty sure it has something to do with TWAIN or Rosetta. My PPC G5 had no problem under Leopard. I may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Acrobat 10.x. Aperture 2.1 was flaking out as well until I just bought the latest version and it works perfect.

Aug 19, 2012 7:10 PM in response to 1strail

Try rebooting the computer or at least unplugging the USB connection for the Artisan, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in. I did install the software on a test machine. It is the right architecture for running in Mountain Lion -- it's only 32 bit, but that should be fine.

You could also try accessing the scanner using the Espon Scan application in the /Applications folder. Epson does list this software on their support pages as being compatible with OS X 10.8.x.

You are correct that Image Capture and therefore the Print & Scan preference pane uses different software for accessing the scanner. You should be able to have both software components on your system without any trouble.

Aug 19, 2012 7:43 PM in response to Matt Broughton

Success!! I got the same communications error with the Epson scan utility. I then noticed the "Epson Scan settings" application in the same folder, which, when launched, allows one to choose between local (default) and network. Once I choose network, it searched for and found the scanner's IP address. I then highlighted the IP address, seleced connect, it connected and now Acrobat works!!!

I had set the printer up as a wireless printer on the network and also so I could use the Airprint feature for my Apple iPhone and iPad.

Thanks for the help, you saved me quite a bit of cake!

Aug 20, 2012 4:17 PM in response to 1strail

1strail wrote:

Of course now I have a red badge on the App Store that is asking me to update the Epson driver. I wonder if that will blow out the TWAIN driver. It's epson14333.dmg.

No. Your TWAIN drivers are separate than the Image Capture Device drivers that would be installed by the printer driver update.

Also, no way of getting rid of the badge notification in system preferences. App store is not listed.

There is no law that you must update software just because it is available. There is no way to get rid of the red badge, but you don't have to do the upgrade.

Acrobat 9 fails to recognize (scanner) Epson Artisan 730 after Mac Pro and Mountain Lion Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.