Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad home button not working

A friend has asked me to look at his iPad 2 (purchased January 2012) because the home button appeared not to be working. I have rebooted the machine several times, upgraded to the latest OS and the problem persists. We can multi-swipe to get out of applications but the home button appears to be non-operational. I've had a number of iPads and set up even more, yet I have never seen anything like this.

Is this is a known problem and is there a fix? Unfortunately this friend lives on a remote Mediterranean island and if we need Genius Bar help it will mean my taking the iPad back to England (where it was purchased) and it would be six months before I could get it back to him.

It occurred to me that a complete reset and restore might be the solution, although I rather fear it is a hardware problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 9:39 AM

Try this.

Calibrate the home button

1. Open a stock iOS app, such as Contacts

2. Press & hold the sleep/wake button at the top of your device until the red slider control appears.

3. Immediately release the sleep/wake button and press & hold the home button. Hold until the red slider disappears.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2012 9:39 AM in response to Michael Evans3

Try this.

Calibrate the home button

1. Open a stock iOS app, such as Contacts

2. Press & hold the sleep/wake button at the top of your device until the red slider control appears.

3. Immediately release the sleep/wake button and press & hold the home button. Hold until the red slider disappears.

Aug 19, 2012 4:58 AM in response to ippuser

Hi, thanks for this. I've read through the thread and there are lots of ideas, some a bit strange. Nothing has worked. I rather like the one about holding the device out over the drive from the top of the house.

For the record, if anyone is reading this thread in the future, I have told my friend to use the five-finger pinch which allows exit from apps back to the home screen. I have also switched on Settings/General/Accessibility/AssistiveTouch. This puts a soft Home button in the bottom right of the screen and gives full functionality despite the broken button.

I am now resigned to taking the device back to England when I return in September. I shall be annoyed if the change in temperature starts the button working again (as some have suggested). It is usually my luck to arrive at the Genius bar and, suddenly, everything is working again.

ipad home button not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.