Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect to valid WiFi

This is really most annoying. I have Airport Extreme built in to my (2009) Mac Pro and it has always served me well.

This past month I have been unable to connect my iPhone 4 or iPad 3 to the WiFi home network. No problem connecting with my MacBook Pro. All three devices sitting next to each other and each time I try the iPhone or the iPad it says "unable to connect to the *** network. Dismiss".

So I went into system prefernces, shut off internet sharing, created a new network with new password, restarted sharing. The MacBook found the new network, asked for the new password, and connected just fine.

The iPhone and the iPad both gave the same error of unable to connect and dismiss.

Reading over the "can't connect to WiFi" faqs, I reset the network settings on both the iPhone and the iPad, both find the new network, ask for the password and got the same "unable to connect... dismiss" error message.

I do not have the Firewall protection enabled on the Mac Pro.

A month ago I had no problem connecting all three devices to the WiFi network. Now only the MacBook Pro connects. Suggestions/answers would be appreciated.

At 10.8 level of Mountain Lion (could this be a ML problem?)

3.2Ghz Mac Pro w/16GRam, 12TBHD, 2 SuperDrives; MBP 2.53GHz w/4G Ram;, iOS 1.x, 2-30" Cinema, HPColorLJ Printer, 12TB Ext HDs, 32G iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 11:00 AM

4 replies

Aug 18, 2012 12:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Not sure what you mean.

I reset my WiFi to remove the password requirement and the MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad do recognize the change and connect. The MBP connects with no problem, connect to the App Store and I am able to move from web page to page but the iPhone and iPad,though showing they are connected, simply spin and unable to display a page or connect to App Store to update my apps.

Something else has to be the problem. Both the iPhone and iPad connected fine before with a 128WEP password but since upgrading to MountainLion I'm getting no connections on the mobile devices.

And, of course, I don't want to run an open WiFi connection.

Aug 18, 2012 12:37 PM in response to OS2Guy

Some users have gotten releif by tearing out their network Interfaces and re-creating them from scratch.

On the host MacPro, in the main pane of:

System Preferences > Network ...

... your Interfaces appear in an ordered list in the box on the left.

There is a [-] button beneath the box, and you can select an Interface and delete it from consideration (this action is temporary).

Close and re-open the window, and your Mac will "discover" a new Interface!

Add it back into the panel.

-- In the case of Ethernet, set it up again from scratch, including a new named "Location"

Add back WiFi and leave it alone, then use System Preferences > Sahring > Internet Sharing ...

... to set up Sharing again.

Aug 18, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry, this didn't help at all and only threw me into a panic because I lost full access. Had I not made screen shots of the Network settings I would not be back here now.

After following your first advice and changing from WEP to NONE (no encryption) I am now unable to go back to WEP. When I go back to Wi-Fi options on the Sharing menu I get the Configure an Internet-sharing network and want to go back to WEP so I can at least connect my MacBook Pro security but when I click the security button to select my security options all I'm getting are None and WPA2 Personal - no other options. WEP has disappeared entirely. If I could just delete these old settings are start with a new internet-sharing network I might be able to start over but can't figure out a way to create a new internet-sharing network. It doesn't say "delete this profile and create a new or separate WiFi profile.

I'm trying to run a business here and can't afford to muck my connection up. Seriously, had I not kept screenshots I would not be back here because I had no idea what my setup settings were - there are so many of them, IP Addresss, Subnet Mask,Router, DNS Server, IPv4 Address, NETBIOs Name, Workgroup, etc.

As it stands now I'm unable to even return to a WEP internet-sharing network and will have to leave it at none when I want to use the MacBook Pro.

Thanks but please, no more advice unless you've got a working answer. Appreciate the time and effort.

Unable to connect to valid WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.