Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very large jump in number of files on HD

I use SuperDuper every Saturday to clone my #1 HD to my #2 and #3 HD's (I'm a little paranoid) using smart update (incremental).

Last Saturday, 8/11, when I ran SD it evaluated about 490K files. This Saturday when I ran SD it evaluated about 840K files. I used Disk Utilities to look at #1 and it indicated about 840K files. Before I ran SD on #3 it indicated about 490K.

Last week Disk Utility indicated I used about 30G and it now indicates about 35.5G.

I have done nothing in the last week to increase my files by 70% or add 5G+. I've update a few app's but that is it. I have scanned #1 using VirusBarrier X6 and have also used Disk Utility to Verify #1.

I have also used HoudahSpot to look at files created/modified on or after 8/11 on #1 and there are no where near 350K. Note, I don't use Time Machine.

This is driving me crazy; any thoughts?

System Info: Pro Mac running 10.8 since July 26th.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 11:13 AM

5 replies

Aug 19, 2012 1:17 PM in response to RobertJ

Issue identified and solved. 🙂User uploaded file

When I installed Mountain Lion I went through and tested various programs to insure nothing got screwed up. I have a pref pane called Macaroni which runs a number of Unix like maintenance tasks on a regular schedule. I had turned it off and forgot to test it. One of the tasks it runs once a month is called Removing localized files; which, as you might think strips all non-English [this is configurable] lproj directories from all System directories, all application bundles and any other lproj directories found in the Applications directory and lproj directories found in the Users directory.

This morning I remembered it and turned it back on. I then manually ran it and the file count is back in a more "normal" range. It reduced the file count by over 200,000 and knocked off about 2G of disk storage.

Very large jump in number of files on HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.