Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major bug in Safari 6: previous domain persists in URL bar when clicking a link

I've noticed an extremely weird and significant bug in Safari 6 / Mountain Lion:

When I'm navigating through a site, sometimes when clicking a link, Safari tries to open the corresponding URL on a previously visited site's domain instead of the current site.

For example:

First, I'm surfing on apple.com. Then, I navigate to another site, say estibot.com. On estibot.com, I click on a link that should take me to:

http://www.estibot.com/tools.html

Instead, safari takes me to http://www.apple.com/tools.html, which of course produces a 'not found' error. Nothing wrong with the link; this is purely Safari's doing.

This happens often, and apparently can happen with any site.

In other words, the domain name of a previously visited site persists in the URL, and the page that I'm trying to navigate to is added to the domain of the PREVIOUS site, not the actual site I'm using.

This is a major bug and is often rendering Safari useless for my workflow. How could a bug like this end up in the finished product?

Cheers

Esa

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 11:51 AM

19 replies

Aug 19, 2012 1:16 AM in response to estibot

I've been having the same problem since the developer releases. Thought it'd get fixed by GM, but I guess no such luck. Even tried removing GlimmerBlocker, but still having that problem.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why the two domains get "linked" and trying to navigate to that link ever again is useless until you restart Safari.

Aug 23, 2012 11:15 PM in response to estibot

I have a similar problem: Safari does not update the URL bar properly until you click in the address bar itself. Then, when you click out of the address bar, it reverts back to the simple domain name. For example, it was just showing "discussions.apple.com" as the current URL; but when I clicked in it, it showed "https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4219899?answerId=19351491022#19351491022". Then it went right back to "discussions.apple.com" after I clicked in this text box. THIS IS A MAJOR BUG!

It bugs me so much (I develop websites and expect to have an accurate URL address bar), I am going to have to use Chrome until Apple gets it fixed. Really hope they can do ASAP.

Aug 30, 2012 8:28 AM in response to estibot

Having the same problem. It is randomly consistent, i.e. some links consistently get redirected to a specific domain. For example, I am experiencing this issue when using Basecamp and links being misdirected to a specific client's website. However, the criteria for why some links redirect and some do not appears random. This issue does not occur in Firefox. This leads me to believe that it is not a DNS issue. May be a Safari/DNS pair issue or solely a Safari issue. We do use an internal DNS (OS X Server) for browsing internal development wbsites which then rolls over to a public DNS. Again, this problem has never occured in Firefox and consistently occurs in Safari.

• Safari Version 6.0 (7536.25)
  • Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

On a side note...

Safari's strong-handed rewriting in the address bar as you type is crazy anoying. Or should I say "too helpful?" It seems to break the first rule of usuability: don't change the interface while the user is interacting with it.

And the unified address/search is rediculously annoying for developers who use non-complient top level domains for internal development (such as .dev)

And the new inspector seems like a huge step backwards in usuability. (debatable considering I'm probably not as advanced as some developers.)

Major bug in Safari 6: previous domain persists in URL bar when clicking a link

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.