Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple support for Snow Leopard

Is it true that Apple will stop supporting/updating Snow Leopard when Mountain Lion ships? I've been told they only support the previous OS.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 12:06 PM

10 replies

Aug 18, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Cornish wrinkly

We cannot predict what Apple will do. Usually Apple gives full support to OS systems until they are superceded by two generations. As of now, that would be OSX10.7 and OSX 10.8. As Snow Leopard is 10.6 that seems to say it all.

So you should at least be prepared. The only exceptions as far as I can see are likely to be matters dealing with serious malware infections like flashback.

All the same,Snow Leopard is generally recognised as the best OS so far. I run it and intend to continue running it.

Aug 19, 2012 12:57 AM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

According to their support page, they're supporting everything from Leopard forward.

The last update for Leopard on PPC Macs was 6/23/11 with a Security and a Java update. Intel Macs got the Flashback remover/Java plug-in disabler and Adobe Flash Player disabler on 5/14/12 (which was totally out of character for Apple), but no real fix for Java.

From the support page it would appear that they'll dedicate some web site space for Leopard, but probably little else.

Aug 19, 2012 10:24 AM in response to MadMacs0

Thanks guys,

I think Apple's limited full support for their "older" (four years!) OSs stinks. Even Microsoft don't treat their users like that, which is why many still use XP, a simple stable OS.

I suspect there are many who love Apple kit but aren't interested in their OS automatically controling every device they own and communicating with the rest of the planet. I avoid all social networks and prefer real relationships.

All I want is a fast, stable, secure OS, not gimmics and would have prefered to stick with Snow Leopard until Apple produced a significant advance in the core OS.

Aug 20, 2012 12:19 PM in response to baltwo

Hi Baltwo

I have done! 😀 I have an ipod classic and ipod touch, both of the previous generation which will have to be replaced when the batteries fail, but am dreading it as most of the latest kit seems to be very unreliable. Apple seems to have become even more greedy and releasing buggy hardware with reduced manufacturing standards.

Jan 23, 2013 7:18 PM in response to Cornish wrinkly

I agree with you I have several G4 and two G5 imacs one of which died due to bad capacitors.

When I lost BBC ipayer i was gutted and I don't know why.

I wrote to the BBC who could only suggest an unsupported and none Apple bug fix from a man in Texas.

I also was disappointed when one of my machines ate my 10 x user OSX PPC install disk and the replacement install DVD apple sent didn't work.

That was a waste of £30

I even wonder what will happen when I next try and install an OSX system on my PPCs and ask it to update.

The issues is these machines used to work well so why have all the updates made them redundant

Apple support for Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.