Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downgrade imac g3 to os 8

Hi

I received a nicely preserved iMac G3 from a friend (PowerPC 350 MHz). It's running on OS 9.2.1. I remember the two of us playing "Creepy Castle" on this very computer and I would really love to make it usable again (for the good old times). The game is still on the HD but it only runs in black and white. The monitor control panel won't allow to turn off the color. That was, if I remember correctly, only possible with OS 8.

Now I bought an Original System 8.5 (Package with CD) over the Internet as well as a System 8.6 Disk. Both Disks have Installers on it but OS 8.5 as well as OS 8.6 won't work. I am pretty sure that the original OS was Mac OS 8.5 or 8.6. Running the installers I get the reply that 'this program can't be used on your computer' (translated from German).

Can anyone help me to downgrade the iMac back to OS 8.5 or 8.6 and by that making me happy running Creepy Castle again?

Hope so...Kindly M.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 2:56 PM

If it's a Blueberry iMac, you need to use its original disks and not a retail package. If it's an Indigo iMac, that's not possible.

(68969)

5 replies

Aug 19, 2012 10:22 AM in response to I0070190

The blueberry-colored iMac G3-350 shipped with OS 8.6, so it can't run any older version of OS 8 (8, 8.1, 8.5, or 8.5.1). Sometimes, a retail/universal OS installer disk of the same version isn't compatible with a Mac that shipped with that version. This occurs when the retail installer disk was produced before that Mac was released, so that some of the required system software components are missing from that retail disk. The same could be true, when attempting to use another model Mac's Restore Disk. If you have the indigo-colored iMac G3-350, it never ran anything older than OS 9.0.4.

Aug 21, 2012 11:47 AM in response to Niel

Thank you. But dear friends, the old blueberry-colored iMac is over 12 years old and I don't find any of the original CD's. I'm afraid if I go to the local dealer, the youngster there will snort with laughter when I ask them for an original 8.6 blueberry iMac OS Disk. Do you think Apple could provide such a disk? Or will I have to find myself another Mac with an old system installed? I would really see Creepy Castle back running.

Best regards

M.

downgrade imac g3 to os 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.