Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mirror to AppleTV is heavily pixelated

Am I doing something wrong, or is it supposed to be this poor quality?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 4:35 PM

15 replies

Aug 18, 2012 4:51 PM in response to Joe Otoole

Some ideas:

Is the software on the AppleTV up-to-date? (I just bought one, and the first thing I did was check for software updates, and there was one.)

What about sharing from iPhoto, or the audio from iTunes? Are those also poor in quality?

When you're mirroring, are you running video or a fast moving game?

You could try using a wired network into the AppleTV to see if there is still a problem. (I'm assuming you're using wifi to the AppleTV right now, thinking there could be interference on the wifi side).

Oct 4, 2012 10:03 AM in response to Joe Otoole

I just upgraded from AppleTV 2 to ATV 3. I started to mirror a Hulu show and got heavy pixelation in the video. (Was fine with iTunes video I mirrored.) I reset the AppleTV, changed the res to 720 on the ATV; nothing seemed to help. (The ATV 2 mirrored fine, except for the occasional stutter.) I then restarted my iMac. Everything worked! Indeed, the Hulu mirroring works better now with the newer processor and more memory in the ATV3; little to no stuttering.

Don't know if this is relevant to your situation or not.

Feb 12, 2013 7:29 PM in response to Joe Otoole

I was having this problem after updating my Apple TV, tried a ton of stuff...the key was I hadn't done a reboot on my MPB since way before the update of the Apple TV.

Rebooted and the picture is crystal clear again.

I think that there is some kind of handshake/quality negotiation done between the devices that gets messed up by the update, and this is reset on reboot.

Strange, you just don't think to try a reboot with OSX usually.

Jul 6, 2013 7:06 PM in response to Russell Madden

I was having the issue. I really didn't think that rebooting my computer would help at all, because OSX isn't Windows after all........... BUT, that's the onlly thing that fixed it. That's disappointing. I don't know why the Apple TV and my laptop were stuck in this 'poor quality' but it seems that the connection speed should be re-callibrated automatically instead of just leaving it at poor quality "forever until you reboot". I had disconnected off appletv, and reconnected several times, I had told the appletv to sleep several times, tried everything except unplugging it. I tried rebooting my computer first thinking that wouldn't resolve it and then I would try other things..... well, it fixed it...

I'm very glad the problem is resolved, I'm very disappointed that the solution was to reboot my laptop.

Mirror to AppleTV is heavily pixelated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.