Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xserve 1,1 won't boot from new ADM

I have an Xserve1,1 (3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 16GB RAM) running 10.5.8 on the original 80GB AM. I want to upgrade to 10.6.x and a larger boot drive. I am aware of the problems with third party drives so I bought a 160GB ADM. I was able to install 10.6 without a problem, but the Xserve won't boot. I knew this was not a supported drive so I bought a 1GB ADM, which is officially supported, but had the same result. I am installing from a retail DVD of OS X Server 10.6.3 Rev 1 that I bought factory sealed. Any suggestions?

Xserve, OS X Server

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 5:27 PM

1 reply

Aug 20, 2012 4:17 AM in response to David-Minton

Hi

The XServe 1,1 (Late 2006 - "Woodcrest") does not support ADMs higher than 750GB as detailed in this Apple Support Article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1219

The XServe 2,1 (Early 2008 - "Harpertown") does support 1TB ADMs.

It's possible your model XServe may support non-Apple branded 1TB drives instead? However the only way of you knowing if it does is by browsing/searching this forum to see if others have done this with details of what drive manufacturer they used, or, purchasing a number of 1TB drives and trying them yourself until you're successful.

HTH?

Tony

Xserve 1,1 won't boot from new ADM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.