Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could a SMC or PRAM Reset Affect a Superdrive's CD and DVD Read/Write?

Hi. Would a SMC or PRAM reset make the Superdrive read CD and DVDs better (it mounts CD-RWs and DVD+RWs which is usually labels as untitled DVD but it can't seem to mount original disks that are in good condition like: Snow Leopard DVDs that came with this iMac, Grand Theft Auto IV, Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars)? Or SMS and PRAM resets are not related to Superdrive?

Thank you in advance.

God bless.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), iMac Late 2009

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 5:36 PM

4 replies

Aug 18, 2012 5:41 PM in response to Alvin777

The SMCreset does affect the superdrive but your condidion may be from dust/dirt in the DVD on the lens system. Mine is real sensitive to dirt and smudges on the actual DVD but occasional lens cleaning helps. You can get DVD lens cleaners (with the tiny brushes on the disk) from most vendors that carry the media.

Aug 18, 2012 5:54 PM in response to Alvin777

I don't burn much media but have successfully used Sony and Memorex. My lens cleaner is a Memorex and I would use it anytime you are having issues. Dust is tricky, you may not have any issue for weeks or months then all of a sudden it may happen every day for a week. Just no real way to predict your need.

Could a SMC or PRAM Reset Affect a Superdrive's CD and DVD Read/Write?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.