Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App Store says I need an update even though it's already installed

I have a red badge with the number 1 on the App Store icon on my dock (MacBook Pro, Mountain Lion). When I click on it, it searches and shows me a single application, but also tells me (correctly, too) that the application is installed. How do I get rid of the badge and convince App Store that I need no updates? I have quit everything and rebooted and it still shows up that way.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 6:04 PM

Do you have any connected external drives with a clone backup that would have the App installed. That can do it. And out of curiousity, do you have Time Machine running on an external HD.

3 replies

Aug 18, 2012 7:01 PM in response to Edward Evans1

Joe,

Yes and yes! I have a clone on an external drive and am running Time Machine running on that same external drive. As soon as I dismounted the drive, the App Store badge wend away. Thanks for the quick and accurate answer.

Now, How do we prevent the App Store from looking at those to determine what apps need updating? I guess I can either eliminate the clone, or update it (I created it in preparation for installing Mountain Lion) but what about Time Machine? Of course, maybe it's just the clone and not Time Machine that's causing the problem - I'll look into that later.

Aug 19, 2012 6:47 AM in response to Edward Evans1

I have a perpetual iPhoto 9.3.2 Update showing available and Installed at the same time. IPhoto is updated to 9.3.2 on my main ML Volume, ML clone on external HD and Lion Volume on external HD. The only place iPhoto is not updated is conceivably on an old TM backup. I hope that's not the case, but the only way to find out would be to erase the entire TM drive and start over. Not about to do that yet. So iPhoto update will remain a mystery for now.

There is a way to use Spotlight to keep Software Update from looking in certain places which I just set up. I'm going to prevent Spotlight form looking in my Lion volume and ML clone. Also TM, but not sure if it will work in TM as expected because of the message below I get when setting it up in Spotlight.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac App Store says I need an update even though it's already installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.