Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Music to iTunes in Bulk?

Hello,

I've recently ripped all my CDs to my MacBook (following this: http://gizmodo.com/5363273/how-to-rip-your-music-like-a-pro) using the Max application. I chose not to add the music directly into iTunes, but instead placed it in a separate directory.

The good news is that Max organizes things in (I believe) exactly the same way that iTunes does. So there are artists, albums, and then compilations....

Since the directory structure seems the same, I'd like to add all this music from the Max directory into iTunes 10 at once. If this isn't possible, it'd be great to at least bulk-add all albums by the same artist.

Basically, any way that I can make this process simpler than going album by album would be fantastic.

I searched all over for a similar question, but couldn't find one. Any advice will be appreciated!

MacBook (13-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 8:49 PM

7 replies

Aug 19, 2012 12:09 PM in response to Chris CA

Thanks for the reply Chris! A couple questions:

1) The Max directory looks like this: Max > artists > albums > songs. So should I move "Max" into the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder, or open "Max" and copy all the albums into the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder?

2) I looked into this option earlier, and it sounded like after the music was automatically added to iTunes, the files stayed inside the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder. This would not be preferable, since I'd like to have all my music in the same (default for iTunes) directory. Is this true, and -- if so -- is there a way around it?

Aug 19, 2012 3:05 PM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

iTunes 9: Understanding the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832

I believe iTunes will do as it does for anything you add to iTunes which is place a copy in the iTunes directory. As the above link suggests, you need to periodically clear the automatically add to folder.

No.

Files put into this folder are actually moved from this folder onto the correct location in the iTunes Media folder.

Adding Music to iTunes in Bulk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.