Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am an old fart, 78 yrs old, I need some advice. Help !

I got a pop up prompt to install an update on my OS 10.6.8. I followed instructions and a window popped up titled "Software Update" at the top of the window. In the window it stated "Installing 1 Item" ---- then an indicator bar below to show progress. Under the indicator bar the words "Configuring Installation"

It looked like everything was proceeding properly and then everything stopped. The indicator bar with the blue advancing progress indicator just stopped.

I have no headers, no Tool Bar, nothing but blue screen and the hung up OS Install window. The Apple, Shift & Escape key doesn't respond and I can't Force Quit. All I know to do is unplug the computer, but with an install upgrade already begun and approx 1/8 into the process, how do I, or can I, back out??

If I unplug the computer, will that leave an aborted mess in my OS ?? Maybe it heals itself ? Any advice you can give me will be appreciated, I need HELP !!

Thanks, LSU60

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 12:47 PM

I'm nearly 72, so maybe I can help. The Force Quit app is activated by CMD+OPT+esc, so try that. When the installer quits, restart, and see if Software Update still shows the update. If not, it probably installed. Check SU, Installed Software. If the update's listed, then it most likely completed. If not, go to http://support.apple.com/downloads/, manually DL it, and run it again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2012 12:47 PM in response to LSU60

I'm nearly 72, so maybe I can help. The Force Quit app is activated by CMD+OPT+esc, so try that. When the installer quits, restart, and see if Software Update still shows the update. If not, it probably installed. Check SU, Installed Software. If the update's listed, then it most likely completed. If not, go to http://support.apple.com/downloads/, manually DL it, and run it again.

I am an old fart, 78 yrs old, I need some advice. Help !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.