Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exiting full screen shows desktop for a second

Hi all,

Just installed Mountain Lion, and all is fine, except for maybe one thing. If I'm editing a picture in full-screen (not the "full-screen" for the entire application, but the full-screen of the picture (by hitting the "F" key)), when I exit that mode (by hitting "F" again), for a second, I see my desktop.

A bit weird. Any ideas about this?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Aperture 3.2, iPad 2, iPod Touch 5G

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 4:50 AM

12 replies

Aug 19, 2012 5:02 AM in response to MarkPek

Mark,

I see the same.

The "F" key is bound to "Full Screen", and this takes Aperture to an additional Desktop, to be used for "Full Screen" viewing. You see it sliding across the Desktop to the Full-Screen Desktop, when you go to Full Screen. Also, when you press the "Mission Control" key (on my keyboard F3), while viewing an image in Full Screen, you see that this created an additional Desktop.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 19, 2012 10:12 AM in response to MarkPek

I think it is part of the Aperture 3.3.2 update: See the release Notes

What's New in Aperture 3.3.2:

• Supports compatibility with OS X Mountain Lion
  • Addresses issues that could affect performance when entering and exiting Full Screen mode
  • Auto White Balance can now correct color using Skin Tone mode, even when Faces is disabled
  • Projects and albums in the Library Inspector can now be sorted by date in addition to name and kind
  • Includes performance and stability improvements

Regards

Léonie

Aug 19, 2012 3:58 PM in response to MarkPek

MarkPek wrote:

If I'm editing a picture in full-screen (not the "full-screen" for the entire application, but the full-screen of the picture (by hitting the "F" key)), when I exit that mode (by hitting "F" again)

Just for clarity, "f" issues the command "View➞Fullscreen". That command makes the Aperture application "full-screen" as defined by the OS. There is not (and has not been since at least 3.0, when I started using Aperture) any Viewer or Browser or Project View mode that is "full-screen". There is one and only one full-screen mode, and that is for the entire app. (In fact, you can enter full-screen mode from the Browser, the Viewer, Split View, or Projects View. There is no default Split View in full-screen mode, but if you enter full-screen mode from Split View, and immediately exit full-screen mode, you will be returned to Split View.

And a bonus for turbidity: I am not seeing my Desktop when entering or exiting Aperture's full-screen mode. 3.3.2 on 10.8. I see a sliding-application-window transition. The area outside the application window is black.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Aug 20, 2012 11:03 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

And a bonus for turbidity: I am not seeing my Desktop when entering or exiting Aperture's full-screen mode. 3.3.2 on 10.8. I see a sliding-application-window transition. The area outside the application window is black.

😕 I see a sliding Application window, but it is sliding across my always cluttered Desktop. Are your other applications in in Full-Screen mode, Kirby? Have you enabled other spaces? I never use other applications in Full screen mode, and I have only two spaces, the Desktop and Dashboard.

Aug 20, 2012 1:40 PM in response to léonie

Aha!

I always run Aperture maximized. The reason I don't see any applications or the Desktop during the transition from "in a maximized window" to full-screen is because the maximized window hides everything from view. When Aperture is not maximized, I see whatever is "behind" the Aperture window slide off to the left when transitioning from "windowed Aperture" to "full-screen Aperture". I think this is the same behavior you and Mark see.

I've never used Spaces. I don't use Dashboard. Since my first Mac was the delightful 12" MBP, I have habitually run all apps maximized. (I "{Command}+{Tab}" in my sleep 😝 .)

Aug 20, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Aperture is really trying my patience since Aperture 3.3.2, for Aperture never will remember the size of the Applications window I like. Each time it launches I have to drag the resize corner to make the window small enough to let me access my Desktop while working with Aperture. In the versions before, Aperture used to remember the preferred Aplication window size in the preferences file.

Aug 20, 2012 2:55 PM in response to léonie

😟 Es tut mir leid. Maybe an OS issue? Occam would shave us otherwise, but I suspect Aperture is telling the OS what it needs to, and the OS isn't listening. Window position. Hello?

I can't get my external monitors to wake up after the Mountain Lion naps. And full-screen ... isn't ready for work-time yet. Apple should devote 3 months to picking all the nits out of the orchard.

Exiting full screen shows desktop for a second

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.