Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard boot up problems on MBP

Using Snow Leopard on MBP; on opening, laptop hangs up before getting to Log-In. Spinning ball freezes and nothing further happens. Have to do a hard shut-down to turn laptop off. I had noticed some corruption on bottom of Snow Leopard boot up prior to this problem - a pattern of tiny multicolored squares at bottom of start up screen. Snow Leopard ran fine for a couple of months prior to this. Any suggestions about what's happening and/or solutions? Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 8:04 AM

5 replies

Aug 19, 2012 9:02 AM in response to wccjr

you can try a SMC reset:

Power off, powr up holding left side shift, control, option, and press these keys after power up before start up chime, and hold them till the fear stops spinning.

A PRAM reset:

power off, power up holding option, command, the keys P,R. Hold till the start up chime rings twice and release.

Also try a permissions repair: go to utilities>disc utilities open disc utilities, highlight your disc from the left colum (usually Macintosh HD or what ever you may have named it, click permissions repair.

Aug 19, 2012 2:09 PM in response to sanjampet

The PRAM reset worked beautifully and brought up my log-in page. I went into Disk Utility and ran Verify Permissions finding many problems. I then ran Repair Permissions and it froze midway through the process. I had to do a hard shutdown and now am back to where I started, unable to get the laptop to boot up. After powering on the spinning gear freezes after a minute or so and nothing else happens. The PRAM reset trick did not work again for me. Thanks for trying to help. Any other suggestions?

Aug 19, 2012 2:48 PM in response to sanjampet

Yes, I tried the SMC and then the PRAM repair. I think I will take it into a Mac accredited repair shop tomorrow as I believe it has something major going on. The hard drive whines loudly and is probably failing. I probably should have backed it up when I got it running again instead of attempting the Permissions repair.

Have you had any experience using the product Disk Warrior for recovering hard drives? I'm thinking about buying a copy.

Many thanks for your interest.

Snow Leopard boot up problems on MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.