Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist---Should be 80, group is 0

I am new to the Mac world, so please bear with me. I have freeze up issues with beachballs delux on my mid 2011 21.5 iMac with 2.5 GHz Intel Core I5 processor. When I run repairing permissions, it resolves the problem for a few days, but then returns back to the same problem. It says "Library/Preferences?Com.apple.alf.plist. Should be 80, group is 0

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this freeze up problems? I origiginally had Lion operating system and when I upgraded to Mountain Lion the issue was better, but did not totally cure this.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 9:35 AM

Open Finder - Go - Go to Folder and copy and paste:

Library/Preferences/Com.apple.alf.plist

Hit enter so the file is located. Then move the folder to the Desktop and logout and log back into your user account and test. Apparently that plist file is corrupt and will be re-created when you log back in.

4 replies

Aug 19, 2012 9:36 AM in response to Porchdog

The next time you have the problem, note the exact times when it starts and ends: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Scroll back in the log to the time you noted above. Post any messages timestamped during that interval – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist---Should be 80, group is 0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.